Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,187   Online: 1102

Thread: Fomapan 400 4X5

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fomapan 400 4X5

I am persevering with a box of Fomapan 400 without much success. All my negatives (taken with an old 127mm Ektar and tray developed) seem to lack contrast in D76 1:1 even though I've extended development times well beyond what I've found on the web.

I'm now going to try it at ISO 200, extend times even further and see what happens. I also have Ilfosol 3 and Rodinal in stock which I could try.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bill

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use D-76 straight for 8x10 with success. I expose at ISO 200 and develop for 15% longer than the recommended time. In the event of exposures 1 second or longer, I use Foma's reciprocity table and give the recommended generous additional exposure. In that case, I back development time back to Foma's recommended time for normal exposure.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fomapan 400 4X5

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Banks View Post
    I am persevering with a box of Fomapan 400 without much success. All my negatives (taken with an old 127mm Ektar and tray developed) seem to lack contrast in D76 1:1 even though I've extended development times well beyond what I've found on the web.

I'm now going to try it at ISO 200, extend times even further and see what happens. I also have Ilfosol 3 and Rodinal in stock which I could try.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bill
    Under expose and push...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Banks View Post
    Wouldn't that tend to lower contrast rather than raise it?

I can't speak to the specific developers you have in hand, but I didn't find Fomapan 400 to have contrast problems in PC-TEA or HC-110, both of which are reasonably "normal" developers.

Can you be more specific than "seem to lack contrast"? Are the highlights not dense enough, are the shadows too dense, do you want a steeper curve in the midtones, or is it more of a general "not enough pop" visual impression?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I routinly rate my Foma films at half posted box speed and develope normally. I also use either Pyrocat-HD ot PMK Pyro for developing. I like the look of the Foma films and use them regularly.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use Foma films as my standard films, I rate the 400, which is my main film, at 320, and develop normally in (8 mins) in D76 stock, or I develop for 18 minutes in Rodinal 1/50 and get lovely negatives
    Richard

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looking at the Foma data sheet it seems to me that 400 is closest to 320 at best, I shoot at 200 and develop in D76 1:1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    print with graded filters?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin