Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,693   Online: 930

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    maybe, there is a powdered developer solution that requires only a few chemicals
    so you don't have to cross your fingers and hope. d23 ( for example ) is for film
    and is only 2 chemicals, it is low contrast and might work for paper negatives

Distilled Water (125 degrees F) . . . . . . . 750 ml
    Metol . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.5 g
    Sodium Sulfite (Anhydrous) . . . . . . . . . . 100 g
    Cold Water to make . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 ltr

before you go, maybe you can do a test to see how it works ..
    you can keep the chemicals separate, and only mix as you need it ..
    maybe ... you can boost the contrast for your final prints by adding
    a little more metol ? or bring a 3 chemical ... Hydroquinone
    and make something that suits your needs more ...

me? i'd probably use plain old instant coffee and sodium carbonate ..
    cheap and easy ... BUT it is slow working so it might take an extra minute or 2 to develop your prints.

good luck and have a great time on your trip !
    sounds like a lot of fun

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I must admit, when I was under 30, I would take a gallon bag of dry powder, mix a half-gallon's worth by weight and "heat-seal" the corner of the bag and use the rest later.

It did develop prints.

I later found the "four bottles" system and have stuck with that ever since, so it's hard for me to imagine doing it any other way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    if ur going to be doing like those guys in kabul do, despite what the other guys say I bet you could take a 1-gallon bag of dry dektol and break it down into 1-pint units to mix up at the start of the day -- paper is pretty forgiving and I sincerely doubt those chemicals separate all that much in the bag.
    Obviously you have no looked at the contants of such a bag. Vibration will cuase the different constituents to settle out in different layerw according to their size. Developing agents like hydroquinone which are lighter than the inorganic chemicals will settle out prefentially. Manufacturers spend lots of money for special mixing machines to prevent this from happening until the product is sealed into its container.

You may be lucky but chancew are that the activity of each of the divided mixtures will be different. The difference might be small but you cannot be really sure.

Both Kodak and Ilford both say not to do this!
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-02-2013 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Developing agents like hydroquinone which are lighter than the inorganic chemicals will settle out prefentially... The difference might be small but you cannot be really sure.
    Yes the different components settle differently. Who knows what will be in what you mix if you do half. The mixed result may not have sufficent "preservative" so it won't last as long.

The worst case I can imagine is the results will be disappointing, causing you to be frustrated and making you feel bad about the whole experience.

That would be a very bad outcome, and wanting to make every amateur a success may be why the advice to "mix it all up at once" is so often stressed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All that is very true. BUT... looks like OP will be working with a very primitive equipment and in a condition where optimum and lab quality result is not possible at all. It might just be enough for his needs. Also, bad result will be immediately apparent. I'm really imagining afghan camera type thing. I'd be inclined to try it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    me? i'd probably use plain old instant coffee and sodium carbonate ..
    cheap and easy ... BUT it is slow working so it might take an extra minute or 2 to develop your prints.

good luck and have a great time on your trip !
    sounds like a lot of fun

john

Thanks to all of you!
    The thing is that I have a few very big boxes of paper that I think are blurred, but I do want to give them a try before going to the province where I want to start (some 40 hors away!!) The extra weigh of two big boxes of paper in such a long trip would be a pain, and so would be the 4l of chemical...
    So I am going to give it a try on wednesday since I just need to see if the paper is blurred, the worst that can happen is that the chemical doesn't work and I'd just take the whole boxes and try it again once I mix the whole thing in the other province. I don't think that the few grams I took in the first try will afect too much the effect of the rest of the mix, even if the amount of one of the components I took at the beginning was uneaven.

Jnanian, I tried the same but with normal coffee since I was in a village and could not find instant coffee, also I used washing pouder which had sodium carbonate, but also other components. It didn't work, but if you think it was because of using normal coffee instead of instant one, I'll give it one more try

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi jorge

its gotta be the cheapest most vile instant coffee you can find
    when do you leave ?
    if you have extreme troubles finding the right coffee, i have a ton of it
    and i roast it myself all the time, i'd be happy to send you some ...

have fun
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format

Use of Kodak Dektol. HELP NEEDED, do I have to mix all the stock solution at once?

Try to mix you own PaRodinal.
    Sodium sulfite 50g (I use 20)
    Sodium hydroxide 20g
    Paracetamol 15g - 30 500mg capsules.
    Water to complete 250ml
    Lasts more than a year after brewed and weights less than 1kg in a glass bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks John, but I'm back to a big city now, so I guess I can get it. I'll give it a try on Wednesday and let you know. And, Luiz, I'll keep that recipe, as soon as I settle down (and find the way to buy the chemicals) I'm absolutely trying it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin