Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,297   Online: 911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format

Spots on Adox CHS/Efke 50

OK. It's happened again. Every once in awhile, I've developed Adox/Efke 50 (or any Efke film, actually) and gotten spots on a few negatives (usually on the sky). This time, I got spots on what appears to be all (or nearly all) of them. I developed them in Pyrocat HD (which I've done successfully in the past). Also in the past, I've used Rodinal. Before someone tells me that the temperature needs to be precise - EVERY temp (even fix) was spot on at 20 C. I did not not use distilled water (but have used it in the past, and it made no difference - sometimes I got the spots, sometimes I didn't).

So, even though I highly doubt that there's anything that can be done to get rid of the spots, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to at least minimize them?

I've been slowly getting tired of getting burned by Efke's film, and I'm finished with them. Yes, I know that they are themselves finished, but I'm going to get rid of the remainder of my Efke film instead of taking a chance on having my shots ruined again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It comes with the package, I'm afraid. Sometimes you get the finest negatives ever and next time half of your frames are ruined by spots. I don't think there's anything you can do to avoid it. If someone has a good and working method I'm all ears. I still have some Efke 50 in the fridge.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sadly, that was Efke. Put your unwanted film on Ebay, there's lots of people who like it, warts and all. (Time might come when we wish Efke was still with us....I yearn to be able to use one last roll of Orwocolor, weird color casts and all. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spots on Adox CHS/Efke 50

I bought a load of 25 and 100 the day I saw the announcement of their demise. I've shot 3-4 of each and they are nice films but I too am getting these spots sometimes. Looks like I should put them on eBay and retire.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Someone suggested once that the "spots" are particles left over from cutting the film. Ever since I have swiped the film with my fingers or a brush before I load it (4x5) and it has helped greatly to eliminate the spots. This obviously won't help you if you use 120 or 35mm.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What do the spots look like, are they pinholes? Somewhere I read that weaker stop bath prevents pinholes on Efke and I've always used a 1;150 dilution since.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have shot Adox CHS25 for years and never had this issue.. I use only a water stop bath, if that matters.

jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    What do the spots look like, are they pinholes? Somewhere I read that weaker stop bath prevents pinholes on Efke and I've always used a 1;150 dilution since.
    They're not pinholes - more like "splotches", if that makes any sense. And I always use a water stop bath, as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adox and Efke are coated on the same machine.. Correct? I guess i must have been lucky. I use to shoot Efke until i noticed missing emulsion on 4x5 sheets and losing half of my first frame on 120. I starting shooting Adox after this not realizing that its the same film just sold under two different names.. I know this does not make sense but i have never had any issues shooting Adox 25.. I hope my luck doesn't run out because i have a freezer pack with Chs 25.. I should be put on that hoarder show because of that. I only use Rodinal 1+25 with a water stop bath with Chs 25..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, funny, I've had artifacts on Efke but not Adox... strange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin