Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,059   Online: 1125

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Photoshop? Grain screen.

I been advocating pull processing for decades to get more shadow detail and less grain. Thank you for the help .

But to more directly answer the question, Delta 400 is beautiful film in Xtol or DDX. My old standby D76 gives horrid grain. I refuse to use a developer that does not show age, so I gave up on Delta 400.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Martin, before you follow the advice with Dektol and higher temperatures: be aware that these techniques most likely diminish the low contrast effect you were looking for to begin with.

If you want the same tonal result but more grain, you need to crop your image. Use a shorter focal length than you would normally choose and use only part of the negative for enlargement. If you use the center region of your negative area, you use the sharpest region of your lens, so your images will look just as sharp.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks you gave me ideas to new experiments.

The crop image idea have I already tried, and i works. But that way i Loose the border of the negative. And i kind of like the border, especially i 4x5 format.

Ill try the other things out and see what happens with the contrast.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is true that developing film in Dektol can lead to very high Contrast Index, for example I show CI over 1.2 in Dektol 1:2 when I once grabbed the wrong bottle. But deliberately developing in Dektol can lead to low CI. In my test I diluted 1:9 to give me a reasonable development time.

PE, a subscriber here, tipped me off that the old "rule of thumb" is to develop for as many minutes as you dilute Dektol. So following this rule of thumb dilution of 1:6 would be for 5 minutes or 1:9 to give 9 minutes developing time.

Here is more information about the test I performed: My test was 35mm Tri-X in Dektol 1:9 at 68-degrees F

4 min - CI 0.42

5 min - CI 0.50

7 min - CI 0.55

9 min - CI 0.67

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Madr View Post
    The crop image idea have I already tried, and i works. But that way i Loose the border of the negative. And i kind of like the border, especially i 4x5 format.
    Wait a sec: you want visible grain with a 4x5" negative ???? I'm not sure Dektol can give you that unless you enlarge to rather big sizes ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mostly i shoot 120mm, and there i like the border to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin