Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 774

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

More grain in pull processing

Hi

I Just dicovered the greatness about pull processing.

But i miss some grain, which I love as a trademark of analog photo.

At the moment i shoot Fomapan 400 action as N-1 to N-3 and process it i R09 one shot.
    Does anybody know a more gainy combo in pull processes, or is there a little chemical trick to ad more grain.

Regard
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More agitation and a higher temperature will increase the grain. But for the density you have to compensate for both items.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You may enjoy this thread.

In short: Develop in Dektol.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...cally-how.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You may enjoy this thread.

In short: Develop in Dektol.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...cally-how.html

Kodak D163 gives much worse (ie bigger) grain than D72/Dektol but I don't think it was ever sold in the US, it was once sold in the UK instead of D72/Dektol as a Universal/Paper developer.

D72 was actually formulated as a film developer and doesn't give coarse grain with some modern films. It's a case of trying and experimenting beraing in mind choice of emulsion.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the link, interesting reading.

Tempature, i try that next week. Thanks.
    Looks like I better order some dektol.

M
    Last edited by Madr; 03-02-2013 at 02:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Madr View Post
    Hi

I Just dicovered the greatness about pull processing.

But i miss some grain, which I love as a trademark of analog photo.

At the moment i shoot Fomapan 400 action as N-1 to N-3 and process it i R09 one shot.
    Does anybody know a more gainy combo in pull processes, or is there a little chemical trick to ad more grain.

Regard
    Martin
    Develop even less time, such that you need to print on grade 5 or even Lith. That will augment the grain visible in your pints quite a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Foma 400+Rodinal= not enough grain for ya??

I though Foma400 had a decent amount of grain even in D76. (for me)

Like a few say here, I bet Dektol gets you to where you wanna be.

I think Rodinal at a higher temp will help considering you already have that.
    I haven't tried it myself but have heard on these boards if I'm not mistaken.

Happy shooting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was reading in "The Keepers of Light" that reticulation (in one of the processes being described) is caused by the Gelatin drying at a higher heat than its melting point (and being constrained from swelling/contracting where attached to base. I've never had reticulation because I tend to process everything at 68 or thereabouts.

But reticulation may add to the grain you are looking for. Taking the suggestion, then to cause reticulation, maybe it would work to put the film in very warm water, 135-degrees F or so, then dry it in a very warm chamber, 135-degrees or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reticulation produces a very distinctive worm-like pattern. It would depend on the amount of magnification of the print whether this pattern would be seen as increased grain. The more magnificatrion the more the pattern is emphasised.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you have a system and like where you are and just want bigger grain, instead of having to experiment with all new stuff, just go down a size in format, hopefully you are shooting 4x5 or 120 ... if you shoot 35mm ... well... I guess my suggestion doesn't work haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin