Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,535   Online: 1020

View Poll Results: Is resin coated paper real B&W printing?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO. Fibre is the ONLY real B&W way to print!

32 36.36%
  • Yes, of course. RC papers are as real as fibre

56 63.64%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fibre Only?

Images
    I do my workprints on RC and, if I decide that the neg has potential, I do the final print on FB. This means that I have a lot of experience printing the same neg on both papers

You can make excellent prints on RC but there is no doubt in my mind that FB still produces a perceptably a better print exhibiting crisper tones.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Although I use RC for "work" prints all of my final prints that "go out the door" (with the exception of the postcard exchange) are printed on fiber.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to print exclusively on RC paper and exhibit these prints in galleries. One can really get a pleasing effect with decent RC paper, but now, however, I use only fiber for several reasons: FB retouches much easier, has a more pleasing glossy surface, looks much better when mounted due to the thickness of the paper which absorbs the texture of the mounting board rather than showing bumpiness, and most importantly, FB has withstood the real test of time. RC pearl still looks like photolab quality paper to me, and the RC glossy reveals hairline scratches and collects dust like crazy.
    My $.02.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I voted the second choice - both are real. I use both, depending on what I have on hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to agree with a few of the posts in that both tend to work in their own way for the situation I need them.

The fine art limited edition prints are fiber all the way. However...when exhibiting certain prints that are mounted for display purposes only (no glass/frame), I use RC for a bit more 'resistance' to the elements. Besides...I've always prefered the look my prints have on RC paper under certain gallery light.

Do I 'personally' think fiber is better paper? Yes...I do. But do I like RC for certain occasions? Yes...so I really can't vote. Just wanted to toss out another .02 cents on the topic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I prefer fiber or better since a few time Azo, blacks are deeper and the grey range is bigger (IMHO).
    Regards
    Claude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morten I think sometimes the fetish prints can look better on RC Glossy as it adds to the look of the paper. Don't think my Fibre is made out of Rye though as there's too many holes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Morten I think sometimes the fetish prints can look better on RC Glossy . . .
    Wouldn't fiber-base with a wax coating, lustfully hand applied and slavishly buffed to a high sheen, be better?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I voted "Yes, of course RC is real." As I understand it, it wasn't a question of preferring one over the other. I like, and use, both of them. I will say that I prefer the feel of FB for prints that aren't going to be mounted, but I don't tend to hand those around. For friends and family that are always bugging me to "Bring some prints over!" RC Pearl is the order of the day. They're just going to hand them around and get fingerprints, slobber and godknowswhat all over them anyway. MGIV RC Pearl seems to handle that kind of treatment pretty well. Anything glossy looks like crap after the first or second person has handled it.

Images
    When I get a few negs together, I spend an evening in the darkroom printing them on 5x7 RC. This lets me check them for contrast and sharpness and are big enough to map out any needed burns and dodges. RC paper processes, washes and dries quickly and conveniently which speeds up that phase of the workflow tremendously. On another night I'll print the negs that I feel are worthy and do full sized prints on fiber. The information gained from having already handled the negative in the RC session makes printing the fiber much quicker, better and more economical.
    The RC 5x7s that I don't choose to enlarge onto fiber are still very good prints that I am glad to have. They just aren't neccessarily the cream of my efforts.

I'd hate to not have both types of paper in my darkroom
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin