Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,506   Online: 1061

View Poll Results: Is resin coated paper real B&W printing?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO. Fibre is the ONLY real B&W way to print!

32 36.36%
  • Yes, of course. RC papers are as real as fibre

56 63.64%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fibre Only?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fibre Only?

I have for a long time wanted to ask this question.

Images
    For those who have voted for Fibre and against RC, what is your reason? For me, RC just looks right some times. Other times Fiber is the only way to go.
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    for me, fiber is for the final work.. RC is used for quick contact prints and to test a neg to see what burning/dodging work i need to do before applying it all onto a fiber print.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not voting on this one. They're both as "real", but FB often looks better IMO. NOt always, though - and if I'm making a big stack of prints for someone else (not "fine art", I'll happily use RC.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am not up to having a vote on what is best. But I have seen here on APUG that fibre is the only way to go with B&W printing...so I want to know how many means that RC is not to be used for serious prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree with general sentiments here. RC is perfect for commercial work, any print for repro, and contact sheets. RC behind glass is quite hard to tell from FB. BUT ... FB certainly has a richer black, is more tactile, is infinitely easier to retouch and is a must for any toning process involving bleaching (RC emulsion will soften and literally fall off the base).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm another that's voted that both are real. My preference is usually for FB but each have their own uses and look. To say that only FB is real would be restricting the materials available and almost class dividing like the arguments between oil and watercolour.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find RC to give me great results. I am doing a bit of fibre, but don't get good results (yet). I will work a lot more with fibre, but think the elite's opinion on fibre as the ONLY REAL paper and RC as a toy and for the non-serious is CR*P. I like RC and it makes GREAT prints for me and my customers are very happy with them. Maybe RC is not as good as FB (can't really say what is the best as it is subjective), but surely very usable for the final print!

My 2 dimes!

Morten!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morten the thing that has struck me recently is that why we as photographers debate the merrits of FB -v- RC, many non-photographers I give work to who I shoot in public such as street shoots prefer the look of RC Glossy. That has the advantage of making them happy because they prefer the look and me happy as it's quicker to process and less expensive.
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 01-10-2005 at 06:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer FB paper for my final prints. RC paper I use for contacts, work in progress prints, and in school. The ease and speed of RC is a plus, but I prefer the look of a well printed FB.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin