Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,015   Online: 862

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be darned if a lot of recent wetplates weren't coated on Al sheets.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zishe Breitbart View Post
    Hi

It seems everybody using FB has it's own recipe to make it flat. I am fixing the paper with clamps between wooden frames and glass.
    With this method the paper becomes very flat after drying - I'm quite pleased with the result. The only drawback is that I need to cut the borders because the pattern of the frame remains printed on the paper surface.

I'm thinking whether it would make sense to mount the paper BEFORE exposure/processing?
    I could use 3M photo to mount the FB on 2-3mm thick sheets of aluminium.
    What do you think of this idea? Could there be problems during developement due to reactions with the metal / during washing due to the impermeable back? Could the durability/stability of the image suffer?

Thanks,

Zishe

Sounds pretty cool but it will be a lot easier to mount your fb print to aluminum sheet AFTER you process it. I can't see any benefits to mounting the paper before it is processed other than to expend a lot of effort on a backwards technique. But as far as backwards techniques go, this should provide for some rich, time-hungry experiences. I say go for it!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    One very simple reason.... shrinkage... OP may want to try multiple register printing....mmmm now thats an idea....

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Sounds pretty cool but it will be a lot easier to mount your fb print to aluminum sheet AFTER you process it. I can't see any benefits to mounting the paper before it is processed other than to expend a lot of effort on a backwards technique. But as far as backwards techniques go, this should provide for some rich, time-hungry experiences. I say go for it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really don't understand this thread. Why not mount the print after it is washed and dried? Talk about needless complications and problems...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About the concern of the aluminum reacting - If aluminum reacted to developing chemicals, why would lithographic printing (lithographic as in commercial type printing) use aluminum printing plates? The industry has been using them for years. A large peice of aluminum is coated in emulsion sensitive to UV light. In the old days, the plate was exposed by "contact printed" with a large negative in a vaccuum frame. Now they are exposed in a CTP platesetter with lasers and a fast spinning drum.

The developer we use is pretty nasty stuff. pH is around 12. Compared to B&W developer, this stuff makes my hands burn instantly and dries out my skin so that it starts to peel and crack.

Long story short, chemicals reacting to the aluminum probably won't be a problem!
    Last edited by edcculus; 03-04-2013 at 10:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    One very simple reason.... shrinkage... OP may want to try multiple register printing....mmmm now thats an idea....
    Shrinkage? The very thought of mounting sensitized paper to aluminum sheet in the dark causes me to shrink.

Multi-stage printing with registration? Really? If this is the goal, mounting to aluminum will not help - try a registration punch instead.

No, the OP pertains to a simpler goal - a flat fb print.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Aluminum is punched then the print is mounted in safelight. Mr Penn's archives and others prove this, but unfortunately how all this is done requires digital talk which is not permitted.

Shrinkage? The very thought of mounting sensitized paper to aluminum sheet in the dark causes me to shrink.

Multi-stage printing with registration? Really? If this is the goal, mounting to aluminum will not help - try a registration punch instead.

No, the OP pertains to a simpler goal - a flat fb print.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All this talk is pretty generic. Most ordinary black and white chemicals don't seem to interact with aluminum at typical working concentrations, but other things certainly can. Depends on your process.
    But what's the problem with flattening a print? You just put it under a sheet of plate glass for a couple
    days after drying, and then mount it. Big deal. Registering fiber-based prints is always dicey, punch or not, esp if the paper dries out between steps and has to be swelled again. Carbro and dye transfer printers are familiar with such issues.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Aluminum is punched then the print is mounted in safelight. Mr Penn's archives and others prove this, but unfortunately how all this is done requires digital talk which is not permitted.
    This makes sense if your dealing with separations but not with traditional b/w print under an enlarger. What are you getting at?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We are multiple printing with many processes as the base image, silver being one, palladium being another , gum and cyanotype mixtures .
    to do this we are mounting the print or receiving paper before it hits any liquid. this holds registration with the other registered negatives.

Since I have been stopped in the past from posting any info on how this is done using separation negatives via digital means it may be hard to understand where I am going with this... I think a great pity as many workers are doing this but unfortunately APUG community is not being updated about some exciting work being tested.

This makes sense if your dealing with separations but not with traditional b/w print under an enlarger. What are you getting at?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin