Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,982   Online: 1056

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2 things that will effect archival stability of your print. Not being able to wash the back side of your print and photo mount or spray which has solvents will destroy your print.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Heat activated tissue is removable print comes off the aluminum if you so wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    2 things that will effect archival stability of your print. Not being able to wash the back side of your print and photo mount or spray which has solvents will destroy your print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yes but..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Heat activated tissue is removable print comes off the aluminum if you so wish.
    If the paper is heat mounted before it's exposed or processed, the paper will be fogged by the heat from the mounting press. Never tried it, but I might be wrong.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You are wrong.. I am not speculating here, its been common practice for us for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    If the paper is heat mounted before it's exposed or processed, the paper will be fogged by the heat from the mounting press. Never tried it, but I might be wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    You are wrong.. I am not speculating here, its been common practice for us for a few years now.

hi bob

is the aluminum you use black / enameled ? or is it shiny / metalic ?
    the stuff wet platers use is black / enameled so the aluminum ions are coated ...
    either way, its pretty cool ... and to think aluminum was worth more than gold 100 years ago

you never know exactly what cool stuff you will learn on this site !

thanks

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mounting it before printing should cut down on half moons and other handling mistakes with large prints. Much less chance of kinking it on a sheet of aluminum.

It could also cut down on the dry-down effect since that's related to the shrinking from the wet state. You might need to mount them in the wet state for this to work though. Tape for watercolor paper should work for this as it adheres when wet.

Having said all that, it's not something that I would want to bother with for normal prints. Way to much work, especially considering the very real chance each print is destined for the waste basket and not the wall.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If Bob is referring to DiBond it does cost like gold !

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Diabond is t0o thick for our purposes, remember I need to punch through with a stroseer punch system so the metal needs to be thin enough for this but also stable enough to handle.
    Not very thick at all and reusable so the costs go down, for testing I will not worry about the shrinkage and only mount when I have my final balances calculated.

I think I paid about 10 -20 per sheet cut to size to fit in my Nu Ark.
    Certain papers can be cold mounted as well with reversable mount cold tissue.
    I have tried both and they work.

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    If Bob is referring to DiBond it does cost like gold !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for your valuable feeback and your recommendations so far.
    I did not state all my motivations why to mount FB before processing:

1st I am a lazy guy: I like darkroom work, but drying/pressing/mounting afterwards is not my favorite leisure activity.
    It would be nice to always have some pre-mounted paper sheets ready. After processing the sheet can be put anywhere to dry - done!

2nd I planned to build some kind of LF instant camera using direct positive paper. It is quite hard to design a mechanical system that is able to handle uneven FB paper and place it flat at the correct position. However such a system becomes much simpler if the paper is mounted already.

Today I did my first attempts using 2.5mm aluminium (not lacquered nor anodized) and Harman direct positive paper; mounting in red light was pretty easy. I noticed no difference in development/stopping/fixing times, the paper stayed flat even after washing. The aluminium did not change condition.

I'm curious how it will look like tomorrow...

Zishe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    and to think aluminum was worth more than gold 100 years ago
    It's certainly more useful than gold.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin