Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,108   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mounting FB paper BEFORE processing

Hi

It seems everybody using FB has it's own recipe to make it flat. I am fixing the paper with clamps between wooden frames and glass.
    With this method the paper becomes very flat after drying - I'm quite pleased with the result. The only drawback is that I need to cut the borders because the pattern of the frame remains printed on the paper surface.

I'm thinking whether it would make sense to mount the paper BEFORE exposure/processing?
    I could use 3M photo to mount the FB on 2-3mm thick sheets of aluminium.
    What do you think of this idea? Could there be problems during developement due to reactions with the metal / during washing due to the impermeable back? Could the durability/stability of the image suffer?

Thanks,

Zishe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I see no issues, have done it in fact
    We used archival hot tissue that you can then reheat and take the print off the aluminum
    this is how registration work is done.
    QUOTE=Zishe Breitbart;1469883]Hi

It seems everybody using FB has it's own recipe to make it flat. I am fixing the paper with clamps between wooden frames and glass.
    With this method the paper becomes very flat after drying - I'm quite pleased with the result. The only drawback is that I need to cut the borders because the pattern of the frame remains printed on the paper surface.

I'm thinking whether it would make sense to mount the paper BEFORE exposure/processing?
    I could use 3M photo to mount the FB on 2-3mm thick sheets of aluminium.
    What do you think of this idea? Could there be problems during developement due to reactions with the metal / during washing due to the impermeable back? Could the durability/stability of the image suffer?

Thanks,

Zishe[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your reply. The idea would be to leave the print on the aluminium.
    I will do some prototypes next week and for sure increase washing times. I'm afraid that chemicals are not washed out from the paper base completely.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aluminium is a not-advised material for processing tools

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what would be a more suitable material? I have a lot of brass sheets lying around.. I guess brass is even worse?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perspex (Plexiglass) would probably work.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A borderless easel might be easier.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Dudes.... with all due respect aluminum works in chemicals.. need to go to a museum and ask to see some Irving Penns work...We have been doing this now for a few years.

I have had a couple of the Worker Series by Mr Penn pass through my shop onto Sothebys.. They were on pt pd aluminum.. As well we have been mounting silver gelatin prints on aluminum and making prints, no issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Plain aluminium or anodised?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin