Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,053   Online: 857

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    You're going to think I'm weird, now (no, I take that back: You're going to know I'm weird!)...

I print 5x7", 8x10"/18x24cm and 24x30cm fiber, 24x30cm to 30x40cm RC (plus the postcards). *)

My trays are 24x30cm. "Finished prints" are always 8x10" or 24x30cm, others can be any size. I also have some wonderful old Guillemot 5x7" paper which I use occasionally.

Since my trays are only 24x30cm, I process larger prints by "swoshing" them through the trays, or slopping the chemicals on with the paper on the floor. So that makes it difficult to get even development on FB paper...
    You're not weird, Ole. I'd give anything to be able to get the 24X30 cm (91/2 X 12 inches) paper size here in the U.S. It's standard throughout Europe, and is midway between 8 X10 (often too small for me) and 11 X14 (sometimes bigger than I want). Can't understand why the distributors here don't flog it and create a market for it.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never print on RC, always fibre both graded and VC. Size ranges from 8 x 10 to 20 x 24 but I always leave a fairly wide white border
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

I find that my darkroom time is limited, why waste the time producing an RC print when it would be much better as a fiber print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only use 8x10 RCVC.
    I'm about to acquire a 6x6 Mamiya TLR from a friend,but I'll still be sticking with 8x10(I'll just be making some silhouette stencils for the blank inch either side)!
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, the size of the print doesn't influence the paper type. I sometimes use RC for initial work/exploratory prints, but print on fiber for anything "worth keeping", regardless of size.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use RC in 24X30(,5)cm, im still messing up a lot of prints so fibre is not in question right now.
    I dont know if I should use 18X24 instead or maybe cut the 24X30 to a 15X24. How do you mount you prints ?
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well a side effect of this thread is I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one that prints relatively smaller sizes. The 9.5"x12" is a convenient size and it's amazing it's not available globally.

I tend to print 5"x7" - 8"x10" - 9.5"x12" on either FB or RC, usually depending on what they are for, subject and if they are for myself or others. Although RC 5"x7" or 8"x10" is what I usually give to people as a "thank you", if I really like them I'll give them FB. Another viriable is that depending on the amount of prints I'm going to produce and the size then it can depend on what I can afford at the time.

Getting a full frame 35mm onto an 8"x10" posted by Les on another thread has also come in very handy.
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 01-11-2005 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos, typos and typos

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Only fiber for final prints. (most prints are on 8x10 paper)

RC is only used for contact sheets. (8.5 x 11 paper)

joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    I always leave a fairly wide white border
    May I ask why you leave a wide white border. I print edge to edge and mount it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    May I ask why you leave a wide white border. I print edge to edge and mount it.
    First for handling in both developer and toners. Second if a print is sold unmounted the white border helps in presentation and again to allow some space for handling while people view them.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin