Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,419   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Paper Size and Choice

I didn't want to side-track Mortens thread on Fibre so I decided to start this one. Something I have been wondering which is related to the use of FB or RC, is does the size you are going to print make a difference to your choice of using FB or RC and if so why?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    I didn't want to side-track Mortens thread on Fibre so I decided to start this one. Something I have been wondering which is related to the use of FB or RC, is does the size you are going to print make a difference to your choice of using FB or RC and if so why?
    I print main 5x7 as it is great for my customers in nice black frames for the wall or desktop.
    For competitions and portfolios I use 18x24 cm. (a bit smaller than 8x10) and 24x30 cm (approx. 9.5x12). Both framed in 12x16 cardboard. 99% RC so far.

I am making holgaprints 5x5 and 7.5x7.5 inches on fibre (yes, i do a little fibre, but with little success so far) to get that rough paper surface that suits my forest shots. I "paint" the developer on with a brush to get brushstrokes in the pictures. NICE.
    I frame them in A4-format thin cardboard and put them a portfolio to make a large forest collection (more on that later).

I have 12x16 fibre paper, but rarely print that large, so I will cut it into 6x8 or 8x12 to work on my fibre techniques later.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    never, always fiber.

type and size may vary will image; however Oriental Seagull grade 3 is my major paper.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're going to think I'm weird, now (no, I take that back: You're going to know I'm weird!)...

I print 5x7", 8x10"/18x24cm and 24x30cm fiber, 24x30cm to 30x40cm RC (plus the postcards). *)

My trays are 24x30cm. "Finished prints" are always 8x10" or 24x30cm, others can be any size. I also have some wonderful old Guillemot 5x7" paper which I use occasionally.

Since my trays are only 24x30cm, I process larger prints by "swoshing" them through the trays, or slopping the chemicals on with the paper on the floor. So that makes it difficult to get even development on FB paper...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smaller prints are more likely to be on resin as they are often work prints. Sometimes tho they are right as they are and there is little point in going FB unless I want to sell them. I am warming to paterson warmtone as the paper has a novel surface and seems to have a less placky look than normal RC. I would not dream of a large resin print, as larger prints tend to be framed and deemed of value -so it would have to be fibre. It is a shame RC gloss is often too glossy with too much by way of surface reflections and satin/lustre too lifeless. A finish similar to air dried glossy fibre would be great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I print small (4x6,5x7)and 8x10 proofs on pearl RC Ilford paper.
    8x10 and 11x14 prints are FB usually glossy, the occasional matt.
    I watched "Daily Planet" (on Discovery network) and a guy made a courier truck into a camera complete with lens. He used rolled photo paper for negs and processed on the floor of the truck. Talk about ULF, and he doesn't need a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Fiber in 8x10 and 11x14
    RC in 11x14, 8x10, 5x7
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Proof prints: RC, sizes 10x15 cm, 13x18 cm
    'Final' prints: FB, sizes 18x24, 24x30, 30x40 cm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I print various image sizes, centered on 8x10 and 11x14 paper. Type of paper doesn't matter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used to print a lot of 16x20 and still do some that large. I have also done a fair share of 20x24 but can't do that size in my own darkroom. - I like to look into the print and it is a good test of technical excellence to create a 16x20 - I must say though that my favorite size is 11x14. It causes the viewer to get a little closer and it still has a big impact. I have been making a lot of 8x10 contact prints lately and matted properly, they still have an impact - I almost never print smaller than 8x10 unless it is a 4x5 contact print - I feel that darkroom time is often too precious to spend on smaller prints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin