Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,707   Online: 706

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Time between mixing and using a fresh batch of XTOL?

Any idea of how long to leave XTOL between mixing and using a fresh 5L batch? I've tended to leave the freshly mixed batch for a few hours in the past but not sure how long is sensible. Whereas I'm well aware D-76 should be left overnight before use. I use / will be using distilled water.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why would D-76 have to be left overnight other than to allow the mixing temperature to come down? Since XTOL can be mixed at lower temperatures this is even less of a consideration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought the activity of D-76 took a while a stabilise. I've not looked at this for a while, so may be incorrect; and should do some more research.

Tom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've heard this rumor about D-76 as well. I have no idea if it's true or not. I use ID-11 and usually let it sit overnight before using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is why I posted an article with links to Kodak and Ilford technical publications. Best to go to the source.

Regarding D-76, the only comment Kodak makes is that when diluting it 1+1 if bubbles form you should let the solution stand for a few minutes to let bubbles dissipate.

For ID-11 (same as D-76), Ilford says once it cools to the working temperature it is ready for use.

Regarding XTOL, in fact Kodak makes a point of saying:

• Convenient, room-temperature
    mixing for immediate use

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read a few posts where PE said D-76 is quite active when first mixed, and takes a while to settle down. I usually mix it the day before I use it.

I've not yet tried XTOL, so haven't looked into it.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Why would D-76 have to be left overnight other than to allow the mixing temperature to come down? Since XTOL can be mixed at lower temperatures this is even less of a consideration.
    I agree completely.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both PE and Ian Grant commented in the past that it's good practice to let D76/ID-11 sit for a day before use. IIRC Ian said it's good practice to let it sit at least until the next morning.

I've found on the 22nd December, 2009 PE wrote the following on APUG in the thread "D-76, pH elevation with storage":

HQ reacts with Oxygen giving Quinone which reacts with Sodium Sulfite giving HQ-Mono Sulfonate and Hydroxide ion which causes the pH to rise slightly. The explanation here is perhaps an oversimplification, but is for you non-chemists. Mees, Mees and James and Haist all discuss this with chemical symbols and the whole detailed agonizing organic chemistry stuff.

This change though, causes a very tiny increase in activity due to the rise in pH but the loss in HQ is what prevents it from being a huge change. Also, the Oxygen dissolved in the water is used up. In the long run, the developer stabilzes and everything is OK. Usually, I let my D-76 sit for 24 hours before use and this damps out the problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron View Post
    Both PE and Ian Grant commented in the past that it's good practice to let D76/ID-11 sit for a day before use. IIRC Ian said it's good practice to let it sit at least until the next morning.

I've found on the 22nd December, 2009 PE wrote the following on APUG in the thread "D-76, pH elevation with storage":
    When I have mixed D76, I bottle it in air tight containers and use when it has cooled, which may be several days or weeks later. Are you suggesting that when I mix it in a bucket I should leave this for 24 hours before storage to allow contact with air for this oxygen thingy?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the reference is to the oxygen that was in already in the water, or introduced by mixing and pouring. Leaving it in an open bucket would give it an unlimited supply of oxygen and cause it to go bad sooner.

I mix it in a plastic milk jug (using half the water). When it dissolves, I add the rest of the water to make the correct solution, mixing more as I go, and cap it air-tight. Then I let it sit at least a day before using.

Once I first use it, I divide the remaining developer into 1-litre pop bottles, filled to the top, and capped air tight.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin