Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,847   Online: 947

Shooter
    Multi Format

Does cold affect HC-110 concentrate?

Does anyone know? I have a couple of bottles on the way from Freestyle, but the weather's cold, around freezing here and who knows what's going on between CA and MA. Kodak's datasheet doesn't say anything on the subject.

Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I truly wouldn't worry about it, that stuff could survive the apocalypse...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I checked the MSDS and could find no warnings about cold temperatures.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does cold affect HC-110 concentrate?

As others have noted, I doubt your HC-110 will be any the worse for wear. The only thing I could see happening is a bit of crystallization, which could be remedied with household room temperature and a gentle swirling around in the bottle. It's a poor photographer's lava lamp!

Shooter
    35mm
    I kept an opened bottle of HC-110 in an unheated garage in Vermont for a winter. The stuff still seems fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Since the solvent used is most likely propylene glycol which is used as anti-freeze in RV water tanks, cold will do it no harm.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    msds provides safety information only
    This is a common mis-understanding, An MSDS provides much more than just safety information. It may include such things as the chemical formula, molecular weight, specific gravity of solutions, melting and boiling points, odor, physical appearance, storage concerns, etc.

From the HC-110 MSDS

Physical form: liquid
    Colour: brown
    Odour: amine
    Specific gravity: 1.20
    Vapour pressure (at 20.0 °C (68.0 °F)) : 24 mbar (18.0 mm Hg)
    Vapour density: 0.6
    Volatile fraction by weight: 65 %
    Boiling point/range: > 100.0 °C (> 212.0 °F)
    Water solubility: complete
    pH: 9.5
    Flash point: does not flash
    Stability: Not fully evaluated. Materials containing similar structural groups can decompose if heated.
    Incompatibility: Strong oxidizing agents. Contact with acids liberates toxic gas.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-05-2013 at 10:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been storing HC110 in my basement (ranges from 60-65F) for a couple of years and there was about 1/2" of gel in the bottom of an unopened bottle. I couldn't dislodge it without hot water. I decanted the liquid part to other small containers and tested the developer. Seems to be okay but I feel a bit antsy about using it for anything critical. YMMV....
    -Fred

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    I have been storing HC110 in my basement (ranges from 60-65F) for a couple of years and there was about 1/2" of gel in the bottom of an unopened bottle. I couldn't dislodge it without hot water. I decanted the liquid part to other small containers and tested the developer. Seems to be okay but I feel a bit antsy about using it for anything critical. YMMV....
    Same here. Except my unopened bottle has been in the refrigerator for around 6 years (I got hooked on XTOL instead). The gel is not visible because it has the same colour as the liquid. But when I turned the bottle upside-down just now, it was obvious. Hmm, maybe this stuff shouldn't be stored cold.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try warming it and agitating gently. See if the gel re-dissolves.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin