Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,303   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Similar paper to Adox Variotone Warmtone?

Hi,

I had ordered some Adox Variotone Warmtone, and really loved this paper. Adox MCC 110 was also a great paper, but the warmth of the Variotone is something I want to play with more. Unfortunately, I cannot order from Freestyle anymore. The cost to ship 3 packets of 8x10 paper is quoted at $37 for the cheapest method which is quite absurd. B&H only charges $17.95 to ship 3 packets of 8x10 paper using the same method. Anyway, Freestyle Photo's customer service has been unhelpful, telling me first that there is an air surcharge (which doesn't exist), and then second that they charge more since they are a smaller company. I'd love to give them my business, since they are the only US distributor of Adox papers, but I cannot afford such inflated shipping costs when they could easily send it in a medium flat rate box for $12.95.

So now I must switch to another brand of paper that I can buy from B&H. Ilford warmtone was too dull in the highlights from what I remember, and I am wondering if anyone could recommend a warmtone paper that retains clean highlights while giving a warm rich shadows. The Variotone Warmtone was really just perfect, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks much,
    Cody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never tried Variotone Warmtone, but I do really like Ilford MGWT FB. What developer are you using? I use Ilford/Harman WT developer and it's a beautiful combination.

Also curious where you are. I just put 3x25 sheets of 8x10 Variotone Warmtone in my cart at Freestyle and calculated shipping and it was only $13 including a couple of other items I had saved to my cart, from California to Georgia. (Deleted the paper - just checking the shipping.) B&H shipping is cheaper for me too, but that seems mainly because NY is much closer to me than CA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply. The college darkroom uses Dektol 1:2. I could try Ilford again, since I might have a few sheets left, but I just remember feeling it was too warm.

I am in Alaska. I do understand shipping charges are sometimes more, but if B&H can ship me 3 packs of paper for $18, then it should be no more from CA. AK is part of the US, and a $20 surcharge is really unreasonable. The USPS doesn't actually charge $37 to ship that little. I just know that.
    Last edited by mistercody; 03-04-2013 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if Ilford MGWT is too warm in Dektol you will NOT like it in Ilford/Harman WT. which is warmer than Dektol.

I'm surprised it's more from Freestyle than from B&H to Alaska but in the vernacular "it is what it is." B&H does carry the Foma papers, I believe. Maybe one of them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might find someone local (in Hollywood) to buy it and send it up to you. I've done something similar for a friend in Montreal who has a NY State P.O. Box to avoid international shipping- when some company "can't" ship to a P.O. Box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercody View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The college darkroom uses Dektol 1:2. I could try Ilford again, since I might have a few sheets left, but I just remember feeling it was too warm.
    Ilford Warmtone in Dektol goes really green. I prefer to use a warmtone developer. I've used ethol LPD diluted 1:5. That's a great developer because you can alter how warm it gets by changing the dilution, and it comes in a powder form so you're not paying to ship water. I've also used Ilford Warmtone developer, but it's a liquid developer.

Like you, I find Freestyles prices a little high, so most of my business goes to B&H, but there are items that Freestyle carries that you can't get anywhere else, and Freestyle will also ship certain chemistry that B&H does not, such as Edwal's Platinum II developer which I love with Ilford's WT paper, so from time to time, I'll bite the bullet.

FWIW, I liked the Adox Variotone Warmtone very much, but it's tone seems much cooler to my eye than Ilford's Wamtone, even after toning in sepia, but that really is a matter of taste.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Off topic a bit, but Ilford Warmtone does go green in Dektol. I've always felt it was designed to be selenium toned. The greenish dektol hue combined with the purplish selenium hue gives you an almost perfect (in my opinion) rich warm tone. Untoned, it is vile.

Shooter
    35mm

Re: Similar paper to Adox Variotone Warmtone?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    B&H does carry the Foma papers, I believe. Maybe one of them?
    I recommend Foma 132, it's my favorite paper, warm tone, variable gradation.
    There is another one, which is even better, but a bit more expensive: 542-II.
    The latter one is also perfect for lith print.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. It seems I might be able to order from Freestyle after all. After speaking to another staff member, they are correcting the overpriced shipping. I should be able to order 3 packs with a shipping cost of less than B&H now. I am glad they have corrected the issue.

I should try a pack of Foma in the future, I've been curious about their papers. Ilford makes great paper, but the warmtone wasn't my thing. I'd try new developers, but it is more economical to use the Dektol that our community lab offers. Variotone Warmtone is just the right hint of warmth that I like. Hopefully now that the shipping issue is resolved, I can continue using it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I am a fan of WT papers such as Forte PWT Plus, the older Oriental WT, Bergger WT all of which spilt-toned. I don't know of a warm tone paper with clean highlights and warm shadows similar to Variotone. You may wish to use Arista Premium paper developer with Ilford WT for brighter whites vs using PQ paper developer.
    RJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin