Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,162   Online: 792

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Different Tri-X Labels

Hi all,

Just yesterday, I noticed that the last two rolls of Tri-X I shot had slightly different labelling.

Both rolls developed just fine, I was just curious as to whether there was any difference in the film inside.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd guess that it's just a design update on the cassettes and that the left-hand one is the newest? That appears to be printed in two colors, rather than four on the right one, presumably therefore cheaper to manufacture?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do believe the one on the left is newer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you both!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The older cassette also has the old "Kodak" typeface. The two color cassette on the left has the new lettering with the rounded "d" and "a". It was such a pointless change, I like the previous "Kodak" typeface much better. They made the lettering switch around the same time Kodachrome was discontinued, so I have that strong negative association. They took their time changing product packaging for different lines.
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at the "d" in Kodak. The one on the left is current. If the other one is different, then that is older and probably came before the logo change.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    Hi all,

Just yesterday, I noticed that the last two rolls of Tri-X I shot had slightly different labelling.

Both rolls developed just fine, I was just curious as to whether there was any difference in the film inside.

Just to muddy the water a bit: When developing, before I shove the usual things into the changing bag, I cut the tongue off the film leader. I always use the same sissors. Always. The darkroom is always within a few degrees either side of 68. Yet sometimes the cutting action feels different when the scissors cut through the tongue. It even sounds a bit different; a bit, I don't know, crisper. Like there has been a change in the plastic of the base. I have three distinct batch purchases of Tri-X in the freezer but I don't use it in any particular order; I just grab a handful and drop it in the Domke, so that might explain my hearing this difference randomly. But I'm not imagining it.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered some Tri-X from B&H a couple of weeks ago. I just put it in the freezer because I have plenty of older stuff. So I opened a box, and it was the newer can, the one with no green. I should probably check the Kodak web site to see if there are any different processing recommendations.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    I ordered some Tri-X from B&H a couple of weeks ago. I just put it in the freezer because I have plenty of older stuff. So I opened a box, and it was the newer can, the one with no green. I should probably check the Kodak web site to see if there are any different processing recommendations.
    By all means let us Know. I also opened a brick I just got from B&H and it is also in the "new" colour scheme. Some I got a couple of months ago is not.

I would NEVER have noticed the change in the Logo if this thread had not pointed it out. I wonder how much management effort went into the change. I still prefer the "Giant K" version in any case.
    Last edited by cmacd123; 03-10-2013 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At least some of the changes of this nature are most likely due to the fact that, along with the reduction in Kodak manufacturing sites, there seems to be a reduction in area specific distribution, marketing and labelling.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin