Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,471   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Looks like you need to check the pup tent for light leaks and/or try a roll that you load in a closet or some alternative dark place if you don't have a dedicated dark room.
    I agree... the lines look like fabric... before I saw "pup tent" I thought the film came in contact with a drying screen.
    I bet the tent has some of that rubberized stuff missing or cracked, and you were in a bright place. The pattern is there where the film came in contact with the tent, and shows up as just some less intense fog where it was distance away.

I wouldn't bother Ilford with this... I once thought I had bad paper from Kodak as a younger man, I showed it to and "old salt" who asked me a few questions and we figured out it was my fault pretty quickly.

Edit... after looking at film edges........On the OTHER HAND... bother Ilford... I am bemused with the interaction of the pattern with the sprocket holes.... Keep us posted...
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 03-07-2013 at 08:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put a nice bright lightbulb with extension cord inside your light tent, turn it on and then turn the lights out in the room. You might just have a brand new Christmas tree with lights included.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The pattern looks like drapes or fabric of some sort. Probably not x-rays. Too regular for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pressure plate on my Pentax KX has a pattern on it very similar to the 'fabric' pattern showing in your negatives.

But I agree to test the changing bag for light leaks.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm leaning away from the light leak in the tent theory. The pattern seems too consistent for that. I would think that light coming through into the tent would affect the film differently depending on how long sections of the film were exposed. When I put film into the reel in my darkroom, I am not consistent in how fast I do it; some parts of the the film would almost certainly be exposed to that light longer than other parts.

I can't think of what this might be, but I don't think it would be related to light coming into the tent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks to me like the film had adhesive tape stuck to it that was later peeled off. Pulling away sticky tape gives off light - http://ksj.mit.edu/tracker/2008/10/b...etc-scotch-tap

It looks like the tape was applied to the base side of the film and the 'texture' of the image is due to the tape coming away in little jerks resulting in flashes of light.

This may be the reason that the image 'curls' around the sprocket holes.

I'd say, unless the OP had applied tape at some time, is that this is a factory problem. Possibly from the tape used to hold a bulk roll before the film was spooled into individual cassettes?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    I'd say, unless the OP had applied tape at some time, is that this is a factory problem.
    I've certainly had no tape against on the film. However, as a factory issue, I assume it would also be unusual to be from 2 coating lines - HP5 and FP4 - although all the film was purchased at the same time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I recently had a similar failure with a changing bag that the rubber coating had deteriorated and light leaked in through the 'armpits' of the bag. Similar 'fabric' pattern, just a little finer because of the threads per inch in the sleeves. Ninety percent probability it's the Harrison although that is a very good product. Do the test in a darkened room with a maglite inside the bag. That's how I found my problem.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wouldn't a light leak in the bag show up a little less defined? As in, not as sharp and clear, without any motion blur as it is in these photos? Somehow my limited knowledge of exposure fights me on agreeing that a split second of complete non-movement of your hands inside the tent would generate these markings. Unless the deterioration is so bad that it's pretty much a sieve, which you should have probably notice without any problems. And then the strange pattern around the sprocket holes also makes that hypothesis unlikely.

I have no better answer for you other than contacting Ilford. Maybe shooting Simon a PM here might get you a little closer to an answer.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aleksmiesak View Post
    Wouldn't a light leak in the bag show up a little less defined? As in, not as sharp and clear, without any motion blur as it is in these photos? Somehow my limited knowledge of exposure fights me on agreeing that a split second of complete non-movement of your hands inside the tent would generate these markings. Unless the deterioration is so bad that it's pretty much a sieve, which you should have probably notice without any problems. And then the strange pattern around the sprocket holes also makes that hypothesis unlikely.

I have no better answer for you other than contacting Ilford. Maybe shooting Simon a PM here might get you a little closer to an answer.
    Depends on how far away the film is from the light leak as to what the pattern will be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin