Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,030   Online: 842

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    When you say 'canister only' do you mean that the films are still in their factory plastic canister, or that it's just the bare metal cassette?
    "Canister only" means tin can in the capped plastic container. This is versus in the box with 10 of them in the factory wrapped cellophane. All the frozen film was originally bought in cellophane wrapped bricks

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    25C developer temperature might be relevant to the problem.
    I would be surprised if it were. I have developed at this temp for the last 14 years and never had an issue from it. Its not uncommon for people in Singapore to even develop at 29 degrees as thats the temp of the cold tap water - but I never push it that far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could it be some slightly sticky mess on the camera pressure plate? Oozed out due to age/temp around a light seal? Does the pattern diminish towards the end of the roll? And did you expose those films around the same time?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Could it be some slightly sticky mess on the camera pressure plate? Oozed out due to age/temp around a light seal? Does the pattern diminish towards the end of the roll? And did you expose those films around the same time?
    Hi Rafal,

All this film was exposed over the last couple of weeks. I think we can rule out the sticky mess theory; just checked again and both cameras are spotless - One of the last made (2002) mint Nikon F3HP thats regularly used, and a Fujifilm Klasse W thats also mint but used regularly ...I've been the only owner of both. The pattern is also reasonably consistent across every frame it appears on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of all the issues I've ever read about here, or elsewhere, this one seems to be most perplexing. It hurts the head trying to think of what could be the issue here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, I didn't realise it was with two different cameras, sorry for that. As someone has already mentioned earlier, it would take some serious improbability for such an effect to be caused by two different cameras.

My instinct is on the sticking as described by polyglot. Now, if you dropped those cassettes in sugary water, let them dry, and then used them, without ever remembering doing that, would it look like this?

Thanks for a good mystery story for the weekend. I'm off to the darkroom, but will be checking how it unfolds.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two different films. Two different cameras. All treated the same.

The two common denominators are:
    1. The user and the process the user has.
    2. The film itself.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Two different films. Two different cameras. All treated the same.

The two common denominators are:
    1. The user and the process the user has.
    2. The film itself.
    Don't forget the changing bag... and the film is not the same, it's two different films, same manufacturer but that seems unlikely, it has to be SOMETHING to do with the process, either the user yanks hard on the film when he pulls it out of the canister, so hard that light leaks into the can from the felt at the opening, or the dark bag, or his processing tank has some kind of light leak issue, it just wouldn't happen on two completely separate film types like that. It's definitely a user error of some kind. It really does look like packing tape lines or something, but unless the user owns a HOLGA type camera and ran it through there (sometimes some of them like the "sprocket rocket" have a frame that goes into the sprocket areas and exposes them) so it could be a double exposure issue, or some kind of tape pulling issue inside the bag. Heck, do you live in a very dry environment? Did you have cotton or wool sweater on when you were changing the film? perhaps you created some static electricity inside the bag and that's the fabric pattern from the spark?

It's kind of exciting isn't it? Like a "medical mystery".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin