Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,461   Online: 823

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Issues with negatives...

I had posted this on RFF earlier in the week without anyone being able to identify whats happened here with these strange marks. The best suggestion I've had to date was to send the results to Ilford for a response but in the meantime I would still like to see if anyone else can narrow down whats happened here.

The film shown is HP5, although I had similar issues on some rolls of FP4 developed recently. All the film was purchased new in 2004 and has been frozen since purchase but has been thawed out for a few days and refrozen 3 times due to moves. It is unlikely to be a camera issue as the FP4 and HP5 were shot in different cameras; and certainly not shutter marks on the HP5 as the camera had a leaf shutter. It also isn't due to any kind of double exposure. Any thoughts appreciated...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Developing error.jpg   Developing error2.jpg   Developing error3.jpg   Developing error5.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    It might have been better to keep posting in the other thread If there is no double exposure of someones net curtains (agreed that this is rather unlikely in the circumstances) then I'd say it looks like x-ray damage. One would expect effects from water-damage (freeze/thaw condensation) to be less regular, though I have only seen that from an extreme-rain accident where maybe more water was involved. Have the house moves been inter-country where the container or packages have been subject to a random-search?

Shooter
    35mm
    Initially I thought "double exposure", but then I saw that the pattern extended into the margins. It looks almost as though some fabric has imprinted itself onto the emulsion....light leak in a changing bag?

I've never had any probs on freezing/unfreezing film, and age of film shouldn't be a major issue, from 2004. Was the film kept well sealed in its original factory packing before use (thinking condensation)?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Initially I thought "double exposure", but then I saw that the pattern extended into the margins. It looks almost as though some fabric has imprinted itself onto the emulsion....light leak in a changing bag?
    Hmmm... there's another commonality I hadn't thought of. All this film was spooled [reels loaded] in a Harrison pup tent and the first time it was used.
    Last edited by craygc; 03-07-2013 at 06:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spooled? So it was rolled from bulk ?
    That would have been good information to have

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Spooled? So it was rolled from bulk ?
    No ...just spooled from the canister onto the reels

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I first looked at the 2nd image, it looked to me to be two pieces of wood aligned horizontally with a screw hole in the woman's hip. Does that help with the puzzle?
    Regards,
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Simon Galley from Ilford might spot this thread but he may be tied up at the Focus on Imaging exhibition in Birmingham(U.K.) this week.

I'd contact Ilford direct. The people there are usually very helpful

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like you need to check the pup tent for light leaks and/or try a roll that you load in a closet or some alternative dark place if you don't have a dedicated dark room.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Simon Galley from Ilford might spot this thread but he may be tied up at the Focus on Imaging exhibition in Birmingham(U.K.) this week.

I'd contact Ilford direct. The people there are usually very helpful

pentaxuser
    I had already messaged Ilford from their web siteband asked for an email address to first send these files but haven't had a reply as of yet...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin