Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,539   Posts: 1,544,286   Online: 847

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Sounds like a myth to me. #76 produces more of a sag in the curve than HC-110, which is capable of a
    perfectly straight line in films engineered with that characteristic.
    Drew - I use HC110 Dil. B at 68F with Tmax100 and can't get away from a sag in the mid range of the curve. What do you have to do to get the curve to run straight?

Gord

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, will probably start off with HC110

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    CPorter,

You've got HC-110 curves, as I recall... they DO have a bit of an up-sweep.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    CPorter,

You've got HC-110 curves, as I recall... they DO have a bit of an up-sweep.
    They do, both for TMX and TXP, as opposed to very straight-lined with XTOL and D-76 1:1.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe this up-swept curve would be beneficial to portraiture, where the customer's facial tones need the best separation...

But it would drive Ansel Adams nuts trying to hold highlights in check - thus leading him to conclude the diffusion enlarger is the only way to go...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I believe this up-swept curve would be beneficial to portraiture, where the customer's facial tones need the best separation...
    Bill, out of interst, would this add a bit more "reality" to a portrait, making wrinkles etc stand out? Or would the upsweep affect eyes the most?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, I think it would give you more details and information in the area where the viewer is looking. My curves in D-76 tend to be relatively straight-line until above 1.2 density, so the effect is "above Zone VII" for me. In my case, I tend to have my high-density step wedge values towards the outside of the film, where agitation effects provide more development action. So I ignore it.

Quickly getting out of my league because I am a nature/landscape photographer - and the portraits I do are typically candid/available light.

In another thread, an upswept curve is viewed as a defect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Bill. It is very helpful for me to learn how different aspects of a curve's shape are used by photographers in their practice. As you know, I am a newcomer to graphing characteristic curves, and I am still surprised by the relative meaning of their nuances in the pictorial domain.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Thank you, Bill. It is very helpful for me to learn how different aspects of a curve's shape are used by photographers in their practice. As you know, I am a newcomer to graphing characteristic curves, and I am still surprised by the relative meaning of their nuances in the pictorial domain.
    And I think the people who really know this the best... know it by feel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin