Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,274   Online: 838

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ansco Copper Intensifier - any good?

Hey guys.

A neighbor who passed away left me this bottle...

Is it any good?

I know (sort of) what it does but what kinds of processing dilutions and instructions are there? I can't find anything clear by google.

Thanks!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It probably works similarly to chromium intensifier. Do a search on that. Not sure how well it would hold up after a lot of years, but worth a shot on a reject, thin, negative (if you want to see if it works). If I recall correctly, you'll need to bleach it first, and redevelop in a paper developer (Dektol works). More difficult on negatives that used a hardening fixer. Others with more recent experience (or better memories) may be of more help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Once you find out what it does you have to use it or even if you aren't quite sure you have to use it. You are honouring the deceased by so doing. He or she honoured you by leaving it to someone whom he/she felt would make use of it

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Once you find out what it does you have to use it or even if you aren't quite sure you have to use it. You are honouring the deceased by so doing. He or she honoured you by leaving it to someone whom he/she felt would make use of it

pentaxuser
    I believe that as well, It is confusing as I was also left his Nikon gear and Minolta gear, the Minolta gear was taken through the Vietnam War and many Kodachrome's went through it. But I already own Canon gear that is close to my heart and childhood and I don't really shoot a lot of 35mm, so I have thought of selling the Nikon, I feel bad but I would put it towards a TOYO 45A so it's the best I can do to transfer the usage in honor, but I'll keep the Minolta. Does that sound honorable?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do with it whatever will best assist your photography.

That is the best way of honouring him.

I'm sure that there must be something like filters or other accessories that will work with your equipment - keep and use them in his memory.

It would also be in order to keep something that isn't particularly saleable, but has a real history, as a memento.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Do with it whatever will best assist your photography.

That is the best way of honouring him.

I'm sure that there must be something like filters or other accessories that will work with your equipment - keep and use them in his memory.

It would also be in order to keep something that isn't particularly saleable, but has a real history, as a memento.
    Thanks, that's why I'm keeping the Minolta

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Copper toner is a very popular and effective way of getting brown to red-brown tones. Your bottle is small, so it probably doesn't make much, maybe 500 ml (read the instructions on the bottle). The components of copper toners are long lived - copper sulfate, citrate, potassium ferricyanide, maybe ammonium carbonate, maybe something else - so the old bottle may still be good. Copper toner is a direct toner, somewhat related to the iron blue toners. The image is copper ferrocyanide (I think), which is long lasting but not indefinitely stable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Copper intensifier is discussed on pages 318-320 of this 1909 magazine article.

http://books.google.com/books?id=e58...sifier&f=false

Shooter
    35mm
    I had thought the link might get me into the book for those pages but it doesn't seem to. Briefly what does Mr Wilson say on said pages? Is it for instance a film intensifier and not a copper print toner or does it do both?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It did take me to the page (Kindle Fire browser). Preceded by more info. this part might be relevant to your question.

The bromo-iodide of copper intensifier is better in everyway than the uranium, although perhaps a little more expensive and troublesome to make up. But it may be used for bromide papers and lantern slides as well as for negatives. With all it has a toning action just as uranium, and is far more reliable.
    Never heard of uranium toner, think I'll pass on that one.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin