Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,240   Online: 826

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dual developer: Any advantage?

I was wondering whether two-stage development in two different developers would enable one to combine the best of both worlds, or whether it would merely end up being the worst of both, or at least nothing better than the average of the two. Is it possible to develop halfway in Xtol, then finish off in Rodinal, for instance? One would probably do a water rinse in between the two.

Would it be possible to for instance get the shadow detail of Xtol with the compensation and nice mid-tone contrast of Rodinal? Is it a matter of the rate at which the grains are activated, or the rate at which they fully develop, or both? If one developer can do the former for good shadows, and another developer can do the rest of development better in one way or another, then maybe it makes sense? Of ocurse it is twice the amount of work, and I am lazy by nature .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have tried the xtol/rodinal thing and I didn't see any great reason to continue. But if you like xtol with better midtones you can use the more diluted (1:2 or 1:3) mixtures or just use replenished. I favor the replenished.

Another approach, which will give you xtol and compensating wold be to use a 2 bath. Thornton suggests to use your favorite developer at about the 1/3 the time and then soak it in a 2nd bath of Sodium metaborate @ 12g/l with no adj for about 4-5 mins. You may also use 2g/l of borax. Soaking and doing nothing should meet the lazy requirements....
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The question is what do you want to achieve with mixing developers?

For me personally, Barry THornton's Two-Bath developer gives me the best combination of speed, fine grain, acutance and tonal separation.

Without your definition of what you are trying to achieve with mixing developers, I do not think anyone here can help you..

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin