Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,671   Online: 737

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    …once started this process keeps going. So, taking pictures and processing the film won't halt the degradation and thus you will eventually lose your pictures. I would not waste time on this one…
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    …Good point!
    I didn't really think of that.
    No sense in using film that's already over the hill. It will only pick up speed.
    Which is why I previously posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    To the tune of the William Tell Overture:

"To da dump, to da dump, to da dump, dump, dump..."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Vinegar smelling film

Thanks guys! And yea, good point PE. Should I officially close the thread? Or leave it open for others in future reference?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Vinegar smelling film

Strange question. I often use milk to dissolve/nullify the effects like acidic things like battery acid that has collected on metal contacts etc.

If I were to soak the canister and tin in a milk bath, would that nullify any acid that may have collected on those items so that I could safely use them with other films?

I'm not that great at chemistry so maybe what I'm saying is really dumb?

For that matter, is there anything I could soak the film in that would halt the vinegar process? (That would still make it usable) or is that just crazy talk?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it possible for nitrate based films to spontaneously combust? I have seen how fast this stuff can burn!

I think beyond the acid problem this is one thing I'd really be concerned about.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Vinegar smelling film

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Is it possible for nitrate based films to spontaneously combust? I have seen how fast this stuff can burn!

I think beyond the acid problem this is one thing I'd really be concerned about.
    If you have any yea, take a look at my gallery, probably on the most recent page, there are two images of how fast it burns

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    For that matter, is there anything I could soak the film in that would halt the vinegar process? (That would still make it usable) or is that just crazy talk?
    If you could find such a substance and get it to market you could be a very rich man!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Milk is somewhat acidic (it contains lactic acid) - my guess is that it might be the fat in milk that's helping more than the milk itself.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Vinegar smelling film

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Milk is somewhat acidic (it contains lactic acid) - my guess is that it might be the fat in milk that's helping more than the milk itself.
    Oh haha, hmmm well then, so what could I use if anything for the canister and the tin? Or is that a lost cause?

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Milk curdles in acid due to a reaction with it. Even though it contains lactic acid it can react with acid and eat it up. However, nothing will stop the decomposition of the film once started. It goes and keeps going until it becomes entirely useless. The film you have Stone is bad. Face it and move on! Get rid of it.

If it was nitrate film, remember that this is akin to gun cotton and is actually nitro cellulose. Look up the properties on the internet. Not good stuff.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Vinegar smelling film

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Milk curdles in acid due to a reaction with it. Even though it contains lactic acid it can react with acid and eat it up. However, nothing will stop the decomposition of the film once started. It goes and keeps going until it becomes entirely useless. The film you have Stone is bad. Face it and move on! Get rid of it.

If it was nitrate film, remember that this is akin to gun cotton and is actually nitro cellulose. Look up the properties on the internet. Not good stuff.

PE
    I know the film is bad, I'm interested in salvaging the canister haha, I guess if there's no way to stop the process, even the residue on the canister is probably "dangerous" to other film then?

I've already burned the old Nitrate film, didn't you see my gallery where I took pictures of how it burns?

~Stone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin