Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,054   Online: 848

DAK

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

TF-5 and selenium toning.

When using TF-5 to fix fiber prints the instructions indicate that a hypo-clear is not necessary before washing the prints. In selenium toning of prints it is suggested by some that the selenium toner be diluted in a wash-aid. Is that a useful suggestion or unnecessary when using TF-5?

Dave King

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Prints processes in TF-5 don't require a wash aid unless you tone. If you tone legacy recommendations were to mix wash aid with the toner. However wash aid has a short life in mixed solution. KRST will have a longer life when mixed with water only. Avoid wasting good toner mixed in oxidized wash aid. The modern method is to fix prints in a neutral to alkaline fix (without harder) at film strength for 60s. Only use a hardener if hot glazing. Use the wash aid after toning for 10 min. Follow Ilford's optimum permanence directions. Ilford is now recommending toner mixed in wash aid but that may be to accommodate prints fixed in acid fixers. I don't experience stains when mixing KRST with water and following Ilford's optimum permanence recommendations.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 03-10-2013 at 11:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I know that wash aid is not required with TF5 or 4, but it is a habit with me that I just continue. I simply mix up a little sodium sulfite to immerse my prints in for 3 minutes after the second fix, then into the washer. After 20 minutes they test clear of fixer. I figure that the few cents I spend on sodium sulfite is offset by water savings. This is for untoned, selenium toning, or any other toner.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin