Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 697

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

d-76 with 75g Sodium Sulfite

I read in an old book about a reduced Sodium Sulfite d-76, with 75 grams.

Is it any good? Should I change dev times?

Shooter
    35mm
    there are dozens of formula which are more or less relatives of D-76 with a little bit more or less hydroquinone or metol or sodium sulfite. If you take less sodium sulfite you'll get a little bit more acuteness and a little bit coarser grain since the sulfite has dissolving properties for silver. But it acts also as a weak alkali (D-23 has only metol and sulfite), so maybe you'll have to adapt your times.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like, more time or less time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The maximum solvency of sulfite for silver halide is at approximately 75 g/l. So this variation shoujld produce the finest grain provided that you use D-76 at full strength.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The maximum solvency of sulfite for silver halide is at approximately 75 g/l. So this variation shoujld produce the finest grain provided that you use D-76 at full strength.
    ??

Less SS produces coarser grain, isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pierods View Post
    ??

Less SS produces coarser grain, isn't it?
    No there's an optimum point and this is close to 75-80g/l Sodium sulphite, so Adox Borax MQ and Agfa 44 (Ansco Agfa/GAF 17) use this lower amount, as does Ilford ID-68/Microphen. These developers give about 1/3 of a stop more film speed, the first two finer grain as well.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, I get the point now. So at 75g/l, I get the finest grain before losing that 1/3 speed.

Why then d-76 has 100 g?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pierods View Post
    Ok, I get the point now. So at 75g/l, I get the finest grain before losing that 1/3 speed.

Why then d-76 has 100 g?

Because way back in 1926/7 Eastman Kodak Research chose to use 100g/l and this stayed constant in a number of Kodak developers, the first EK Fine Grain developer, D76, D23, D25, DK20 etc.

Kodak initially began from the Wellington & Ward Buffered Borax developer formula which was known to give finer grain and a series of developers evolved with incresing Sulphite, DK50 is the closest to the W&W dveloper, DK60 & DK60a in between DK50 & D76. There were older versions of both prior to Kodak using Sodium Metaborate.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just finished some tests with Kodak D-76 vs the D-76 standard formula:

Stock vs Stock.

Kodak D-76 is slightly sharper and grainier, otherwise identical results. Test was on T-Max 100.

details: http://www.photodan.com.au/2013/04/k...6-differences/

Kodak D-76: http://www.photodan.com.au/wp-conten...013/04/D76.jpg
    D-76 Standard Recipe: http://www.photodan.com.au/wp-conten...13/04/PC11.jpg
    Last edited by Athiril; 04-11-2013 at 01:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin