Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,276   Online: 778

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or use something for a trough of some kind, like wallpaper glue thingies, you can get at local building supply. A lot less chem, just see saw the print back and forth. You might be able to use your normal dilution with just a bit more time. Test a strip and compare to a small tray developed print that has the blacks and contrast you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other options to diluting:

1. Buy the one-litre pack.
    2. Buy the ingredients to make D-72 (very similar to Dektol) from scratch, and then you can mix up precisely what you want and no more.
    3. Mix a bull fatch and use it up. Print another shot too, or make contact sheets or other prints.

The stock solution will keep for a few months. You can mix up the 3.8-litre pack, and only use part of it. Dilute the portion you need to do your prints, and save the rest for another batch of developing in a week or two or ten.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    3. Mix a bull fatch and use it up.

He, he, he..... spell checker strikes again!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Jim, I can mix my own D-72.... I have been doing that, actually. Sadly, at the quantity I purchase, it costs me more than double of buying a gallon bag of Dektol.

But that really isn't the problem. I just wanted to make ONE print with minimum of stock solution. I'm going to try this tomorrow. I got side tracked today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tkamiya. The drum option might be your best bet.

Richard Henry did fairly extensive densitometric testing of Dektol at various dilutions, development times with factorial development etc. At dilutions greater than 1+2 dmax began to fall off even with increased development time and there was increasing compression of all densities > approx 1.5. Further, development times greater than 8 minutes tended to cause fogging problems. Granted, these tests were with Ilfobrom in the 80s, but still probably directionally useful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It depends on the paper you're using, many have a developer built in, which simply on it's own can develop to a deep grey, which just needs a little extra developer to get to full dMax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's an Adorama store brand RC paper. I have no idea who actually manufacturers these paper....

I'm going to try drum for the first time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Adorama store brand a lot and my normal dilution for dektol is 1:4. I used to use 1:2, 2 minutes and could never see much difference between 1:30 and 2:00. Now with 1:4 I usually go about 2:15, but I can't see much difference after 2:00. I use a method similar to single tray, except it's "single container".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice typo I did there
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My bull fatch didn't last.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin