Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,241   Online: 901

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How far can I dilute Dektol?

I am going to make a big print tonight - 16x20.

I typically dilute Dektol per Kodak's instructions - 1:2. How far can I dilute this and still get a max black? Since I am going to make ONLY ONE print, I'd rather not prepare a gallon of developer using the standard dilution.

I'd appreciate if you can stick to the topic. Please - no discussion of how dilutions are expressed or if this is a false economy.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the worry you need to have is there enough developer in the tray to react properly - if you put 1oz of developer in 1 gallon of water and left it for a month, it would never turn completely black. How much developer solution do you need to cover 16x20? I personally wouldn't go more than 1:4 or 1:5 and still obtain an acceptable print - of course, a longer develop time will be required.
    Last edited by Kevin Kehler; 03-11-2013 at 01:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol has a capacity of thirty-two 8 x 10 sheets per litre of working strength solution. So each litre of normally diluted (1:2) working strength developer has enough chemical capacity to develop eight 16 x 20 sheets.

So theoretically you could mix up a litre of 1:2 solution, and then dilute it further so as to end up eventually with effectively a 1:8 solution, and still have enough capacity to develop eight 16 x 20 sheets.

I would try a test. Most likely you will be doing some test strips anyways. Try developing a smaller strip in some 1:8 developer. You will probably need something like 8 minutes developing time - maybe longer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'll have to try this myself. I was hoping someone has done this already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I do use Polymax-T at 1+14 rather than the recommended 1 + 9 when I do 11 x 14 and larger, and with a 33% increase in standard developing time (90 - 120 seconds, RC paper) everything works well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could theoretically use one liter at standard dilution if you processed in a drum, or a trough, instead of a tray. I used to use a canoe shaped tray to save chems for color prints, would work for B&W as well.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A flat bottom tray with 2 litres of chemistry would probably work if you are diligent and careful.

And you could probably use a slightly more dilute version of Dektol (1 + 3 or 1 + 4?) at the same time.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holy cow! DRUM! I forgot I have one! Thanks. That solves my problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi tkamiya,

I recently had just 8 ounces of Dektol left and wanted a print. So I diluted 1:5 and developed for 6 minutes.

Both prints same batch of Galerie 3 and same roll of 35mm film (so black border would match). Both lightly Selenium toned.

The difference could be attributed to two differences I see: greater dilution - or the greater net exposure on the denser print.

Black Border Density: 1.58
    Base exp: f/11 32 seconds

The previous print done normally in Dektol 1:2 for 3 minutes:

Black Border Density: 1.88
    Base exp: f/8 25 seconds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read an article in one of the major photography magazines many years ago about using a sponge to put the developer on the print. From the example they gave the technique worked rather well.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin