Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,903   Online: 1109

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    The take up of silver products would be larger if people knew that they are still produced and are easily available. I talk to surprisingly many people who are convinced that Kodachrome was the last film being produced in the world.
    I think this is a good point. I'm sure we've all heard that film is no longer available from people that are not really avid photographers. I always tell them where to get film and processing if they're interested. More advertising would be good, but can the companies afford that?
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

I have heard the same comments...............

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    To all the gloom and doom sayers that have predicted the demise of film.

I was just listening to an article on PBS (public broadcasting in America). There is increased interest in analog photography especially in young people in their 20's and 30's. They have become tired of digital seeing it as having little of the creative process associated with it. They also enjoy the expectation with having their film processed This trend is true not only for the US but all over the world. Some camera stores have started selling film cameras again. One of the groups mentioned was "cool girls shoot film."
    I had a recent conversation with a Atlanta area camera shop (Wings Camera, in business for 100 years believe it or not) that supplies chemistry to local schools, his comments were that there is a big resurgence in analog at the High School and College levels. Once a student sees a B+W developed print in the darkroom, "and then they get hooked" was the comment. Resurrection of "Camera Clubs" and darkrooms in both environments, and they have personally experienced the benefit of being the supplier to the institutions (arms merchant?) since they have been identified as the source for film supplies, used cameras, etc.

My big question is the destiny of processing, B+W as well as C-41 and E-6. I can remember about 20 years ago when the C-41 "mini Lab" concept was in full swing, and in about any drug store you could find. The drug store labs would have 2 people working most of the time, and meeting the "1 hour" pledge was sometimes tough to do. This was probably the heyday of "film for everybody" because you got pretty quick results in hand, even the 35mm point-and-shoot hardware could pop out decent results, and the 35mm SLR technology was cheap enough to place quality gear in many hands. Hopefully folks like The Darkroom can sustain their processing business model as analog continues to evolve. If Kodak can be a survivor in the analog space, I hope they do but time will tell, and if the reports on Ilford are correct they look to have their act together.

FL Guy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learned last night at the photo club meeting that a nearby university won't be sending its photography students to another institution for analog stuff anymore because they built a brand new darkroom - color and B&W labs. They moved out a printer room, I believe.
    And someone in the club who recently finished an associates degree at a community college was asking where to learn the darkroom side of things because the CC didn't have that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film for everybody is dead.

Everybody doesn't want film. Those of us that do are more than happy to use pro labs (which most of us would be doing anyway, I'm sure), or do it ourselves, or use mail order processing. If you're in an urban area, local processing of any sort should not be an issue, it's just a matter of finding out which lab to use (I use Duggal and CRC in new york city for my lab work.)

The fact that there are "no" mini labs doesn't trouble me, because I wouldn't be bringing my film to them in the first place.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Film for everybody is dead.

Everybody doesn't want film. Those of us that do are more than happy to use pro labs (which most of us would be doing anyway, I'm sure), or do it ourselves, or use mail order processing. If you're in an urban area, local processing of any sort should not be an issue, it's just a matter of finding out which lab to use (I use Duggal and CRC in new york city for my lab work.)

The fact that there are "no" mini labs doesn't trouble me, because I wouldn't be bringing my film to them in the first place.
    You sound like the kind of person I am in that once I decide I want to do something, I don't settle for "No" or "Gone" and "Hard to Find".

Living in a very expensive resort town, I looked for about a year for a small darkroom space to either rent or coop and found nothing. I then decided to empty 80% of the stuff out of a rather nice sized storage closet adjacent to my apartment and put all of that crap in a cheap storage unit some 23 miles away. So for about $50 a month, I have a tiny but hi-tech darkroom in which I can with good consistency print up to 20x24 from 35mm, 120mm and 4x5 negs.

I send my color out because I do very little of it on film and have no interest in doing it my self. But black and white is 100% mio and it rocks.

I have a great show coming up in about three weeks that has kept me in the darkroom at least three full days a week. I will be the only one with 100% analog images and I love it...:-)
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm
    I am having fun with my recently acquired Nikon F5. Still have my D700 for landscapes and sports, but I love using film for people. Up until recently, I was only using negative films, but now I'm building up a supply of slide films to try out. My father shot slide exclusively with his Nikon F and this has me inspired to do the same. What I like most about my Nikon F5 is the ability to use the same lenses from my D700.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is great news

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I inherited three Hasselblads and two Nikons from my father. I originally got into B&W because it meant I didn't have to go out and spend $1000 on a DSLR---I could just spend ~$10/week on supplies and use the cameras I already owned. Much easier to stomach. I know many other young(er) people that have found themselves in the same boat.

I recently gifted a 21-year-old one of my old, unused SLRs because they had such an interest in analog photography. When I was 21 I didn't know anyone under 50 using film---and DSLRs weren't even what they are today.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin