Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,221   Online: 667

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Upturn in Analog Photography

To all the gloom and doom sayers that have predicted the demise of film.

I was just listening to an article on PBS (public broadcasting in America). There is increased interest in analog photography especially in young people in their 20's and 30's. They have become tired of digital seeing it as having little of the creative process associated with it. They also enjoy the expectation with having their film processed This trend is true not only for the US but all over the world. Some camera stores have started selling film cameras again. One of the groups mentioned was "cool girls shoot film."
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is great to hear!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

From my signature line below at the original time of this post:

"The richness of the experience that occurs when one is exposed tangibly to a subject, material, or process is unmatchable in the abstract... Thus, when 'touch it,' 'taste it,' smell it' become the watchwords, the results are most often extraordinary. Equally extraordinary are the lengths to which people will go to avoid [that] experience."

— Tom Peters and Robert H. Waterman Jr., In Search of Excellence, 1982
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PBS

PBS is always the most objective news source around because they're not in it for the money or entertainment. Glad to hear people are begining to think for themselves again.............could be a trend.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This was highly apparent at the SPE conference. Most the students had film cameras and a lot of the lectures were about analog processes.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for what it's worth, four students, myself included, who are by far the hardest working and most prolific photographers in the photo department at my art school, are all photographing our senior exhibition work on film. Of the four of us, one girl and myself are printing our entire exhibitions by hand in the darkroom (a few 42 inch rolls of Adox MCC and multiple boxes of 16x20" Adox Variotone Warmtone are in the mail). We aren't planning on abandoning our commitments to the medium any time soon.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anecdotal I realize, but in past years the sight of me out in public using a film camera would invariably elicit gently humerous to outright snarky responses.

That has markedly changed.

More recently I've begun to hear responses ranging from admiration to self-loathing despair. Despair as in, "I used to have a <fill-in-the-blank film camera>, but got rid of it when I got this new digital camera. Now I kinda' wish I hadn't done that..."

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Images
    Whoa there. It can't get popular again until I replace some 4x5 film holders. I got rid of mine assuming quick loads would be around for quite sometime. Now I have discovered that one cannot live with 2. Used to be you could grab a bag full for cheap now they are climbing up more and more. And, seeing as how I am continually sniped at auction people want them. So tell all your friends that they don't want to go into 4x5.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Well, it's all swell, wonderful and great. But to tell you the truth I'm dedicated to non-digital film photography and will do it even if there's only three others on the planet doing it. If companies stop making film I will make it myself, like they did in photography's dawn early light.
    Will you make some for me, then, too? Preferably as perfect as Kodak or Ilford can make it...
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This should have the link to the audio. I heard it on NPR this afternoon.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/11/174043...hey-never-knew

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin