Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,156   Online: 989

Thread: Art 300 query

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Art 300 query

Some people I've talked to using Ilford's new Art 300 paper are finding that it yellows somewhat and that prints look flat when dried.
    Has anyone else using this paper noticed this?
    Any suggestions?

My thoughts were around the fixing time and whether or not the image is toned or not regarding the colouration and
    perhaps changing the contrast if print seems flat when dry ... just some thoughts
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my experience, the paper is marvelous for some images...not suited to others but that's an aesthetic opinion.

It REALLY floats while washing so keep that in mind as you do so. The surface 'pebbling' seems to affect shadows and how they look, from what I can see. Never saw any yellowing, but I'm basing it on my (limited, to others) experience.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Paper is the same emulsion as Ilford Warmtone, just looks flatter due to the surface of the support paper.
    I love this paper, and yes it is warmer when dry , I use weights on top to hold the paper in the vertical washer.
    I find this to be a first rate paper, a rival to any papers out there past and present.

It tones exactly as one would expect using a warmtone paper and I like the thickness and the way it drys .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Art 300 is a beautiful paper. I haven't seen any evidence of yellowing-it's coated on Hahnemühle cotton rag paper. Not sure why anyone would call images on Art 300 'flat", since it's a variable contrast paper with a nice tonal range. My only suggestion is to buy some Art 300. We're lucky to have such a fine and unique paper--so buy it before it gets discontinued and the remaining stock triples in price, and everyone laments its passing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The paper has a very pale 'ivory' coloured base.

It's a textured paper so d-max isn't going to be as high as glossy. That said, the paper works wonderfully with images with huge swathes of pure black - the texture gives the black some life.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Absolutely
    very good observation, I just finished a 25 image show on this paper where Black was important and yes I agree the texture helps the black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The paper has a very pale 'ivory' coloured base.

It's a textured paper so d-max isn't going to be as high as glossy. That said, the paper works wonderfully with images with huge swathes of pure black - the texture gives the black some life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I agree that it is a wonderful paper with large areas of blacks.
    I personally like working with this paper, but as mentioned it befits some images while not others.
    I am just sharing from other's comments and was looking for advice.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    35mm
    You know I'm looking at an example I printed last night and it has an off-white tone to the paper - not sure if that's been there all along or if that came after it dried honestly, but I could see someone describing it as "yellowish". I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knew about it and why.
    I haven't experienced anything that could be called "flatness" though

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I haven't seen any yellowing or flatness in my prints. I love this paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin