Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,976   Online: 887

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Oh Oh Someone unplugged my refrigerator

I keep my film in a small bar type refrigerator in my darkroom.
    I've been busy for the last several weeks earning a living to support my photography hobby and just
    realized that the power to the darkroom was off and so was the refrigerator.
    Ambient temp in the darkroom was never above 68 deg F.

Does anyone have any opinion as to whether or not my color film stock may have suffered ?

Thanks,
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem if it never got too warm.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Matt.
    The panic is starting to wear off.

Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's probably ok. The only real way to know for sure is to test a roll or two.
    The specific film will matter too, if it's "consumer" film, something like Kodak Gold, for example, it's likely that there is no problem at all. If it's "pro" film, you may get some color shift, depending on how long it's been warm, and how warm it got.

Shooter
    35mm
    Absolutely no problem, IMHO! I'd just check that there's no condensation on the films, then you'll be fine.

One of my fridges failed a few weeks ago, and some of my films have been at room temp since, pending the replacement coming next week. I'm not worrying at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film isn't like milk .

Film changes over time.

The extent of that change is affected by temperature. Refrigeration slows that change considerably. Storage in a freezer slows it even more.

Most likely, your film spent more time at room temperature before you put it into the refrigerator then during the recent "power off" event.

If you had two batches of film from the same emulsion lot, and one had stayed refrigerated throughout while the other was allowed to warm, you might be able to detect a tiny difference - if you were Photo Engineer .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles,
    Don't listen to any of them. Send me all of the film immediately and you won't have to worry about it any more. I will dispose of it carefully, one frame at a time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Charles,
    Don't listen to any of them. Send me all of the film immediately and you won't have to worry about it any more. I will dispose of it carefully, one frame at a time.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Oh Oh Someone unplugged my refrigerator

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Charles,
    Yes this is the proper action to take, but send me the other half, it's probably too much for Whitey to handle all by himself and I wouldn't want him to be overburdened

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How long do you think it was off for?

Unless the ambient temperature is very high and it was off for a few months, I wouldn't worry about it.

Stev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin