Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,400   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Nothing beats practicing with an scrap roll of film until you get the feel for it.
    The true secret to steel roll loading.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It's almost like trying to teach someone how to wiggle their ears. I really like the Tewes reels from England.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Part of the trick, I think, is not to assume the retainer clip is in the center of the reel. Often, they will slide to one side.
    This was causing me a lot of trouble on my 'dry runs' so I moved the clips with a pair of needle-nosed pliers...The reels loaded much more easily after that.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a hell of a time until I learned to feed the film as the reel is turned. If I rely on the turning of the reel to pull the film into it, or if I rely on pushing the film to spin the reel, I have problems. There is a nice, happy balance between the two, spin and push.

Anyway, I imagine that are a lot of different styles out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, thanks to Ralph, I now know I load reels left handed. Of course, no one has ever seen me do this, but it's true.

I usually pull all the film off first and start with the tape side in the clip. I use my pinky finger of my reel hand to keep it on the film as I wind to ensure I am not getting any kinks. As you get better and better, you will get faster and faster. I can roll a reel in less than 90 seconds (even after a beer or two) from peeling paper to popping it in the tank. It's been years since I had any moons on my film. Center the film and let the reel do the work.

tim in san jose (just like Ralph)
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen many medium format negatives scratched and destroyed by using the "easy loader", stainles curved metal thingie, throw it away and learn to load the reel the way it was designed to be loaded :-)

Now for those of you that have mastered loading the stainless reel, do you work with your eyes open or closed while loading reels in the darkroom ? :-)

Be surprised how many folks do work with their eyes closed when loading one of these reels, why not, that is how we learned! :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    . . .Now for those of you that have mastered loading the stainless reel, do you work with your eyes open or closed while loading reels in the darkroom ? :-)
    I closed my eyes once, and fell asleep. I now have a circular scar on my forehead from the open stainless steel tank.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Now for those of you that have mastered loading the stainless reel, do you work with your eyes open or closed while loading reels in the darkroom ? :-)
    You mean I don't Have to close my eyes!!!!

don't think, I could not do it with them open,
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jeanette
    I had the same problem trying to fumble in the dark with reel in one hand and film in the other.It had to be a better way.I bought my easy loader on eBay about year ago for couple of bucks.And I never looked back.Only once I had film crumble on me and I had creases in my negatives. But more I used it, better I got.Maybe it is worth a try.I have not had any film scratched yet.

Good luck Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Steel reels

I won't say how long I've been doing it, but I can load twelve rolls under 15 minutes. I "always" blow out my first exposure so I don't worry about half moons, I back up my image on frame two and three. Reels must be dry. The rest is just keep loading film.
    Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin