Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,111   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LegacyPro Mic-X

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

LegacyPro Mic-X

Has anyone done a comparison between the results obtained from LegacyPro Mic-X and Kodak Microdol-X (when it still existed)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used the Legacy product but the MSDS lists the same ingredients as for Microdol X which are sodium sulfite, sodium chloride and Metol.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I believe Legacy Pro chems are re-badged Kodak products. I have been using their L-76 which behaves exactly like D-76. I understand Freestyle has/had a contract with Kodak on a number of products that were re-badged, e.g., Arista Premium films. Perhaps someone will chime in and confirm.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some are identical, some are not. The L-110 is widely reported to be different from HC-110, at least not syrupy however similarly it may work. I use the brown toner (because I can't get Kodak) and it works fine, and I use their rapid fixer because the 5 gallon size is just right where the Kodak is only available in 1 gallon (order too often) and 10 gallons (too much.) The price difference is so close on the stuff still available from Kodak I don't see any reason to favor one over the other on that basis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak no longer manufactures chemicals they are made by Champion. A look at the MSDS for both HC-110 and L-110 shows that the two developers are very different.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think most people know Champion makes the Kodak stuff. The question some people have had is whether Champion also makes Legacy Pro. Apparently not. Someone here earlier reported they are made by the company that used to make Unicolor, which is quite possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Legacy Xtol clone sold by Freestyle is identical to Xtol, at least insofar as I can determine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Microdol-X has an additive (the 'X') that prevents dichroic fog. Without the X the old Microdol metol/sulfite/chloride formula is unusable with any modern film - where Tri-X is modern. I suppose it might work with Efke or whatever Comecon film is still in production.

The 'X' is generally held to be a mercaptan, possibly aminopolycarboxylic acid, or as Kodak so helpfully states in their patents "... a sequestering agent selected from the group consisting of oligomeric carboxylic acid substituted hydrocarbons ..."

I emailed Photographers' Formulary about stocking aminopolywhatsit but never heard back. Maybe I should prod them. But as I bought a 10+ year supply of M-X when they announced discontinuation I'm not in any hurry.

TMax-100 in Microdol-X has about the same level of grain as Tech Pan, though it doesn't have TP's gradation wherein 35mm can look like 4x5 with modest enlargement.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it wasn't usable with modern films, they wouldn't sell it. Also consider Ilford Perceptol.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, good luck getting the name of that Mercaptan from the vest pocket of Photo Engineer....and I don't think Kodak would let Champion use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin