Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,136   Online: 850

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful about hand inspections. There are horror stories of dimbulb inspecters removing film from cassettes or opening cameras containing film. Remember we are now dealing with the digital mindset to which the concept of film is totally alien.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-19-2013 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Be careful about hand inspections. There are horror stories of dimbulb inspecters removing film from cassettes or opening cameras containing film. Remember we are now dealing with the digital mindset to which the concept of film is totally alien.
    That is the situation that, many years ago, made me a complete convert to just puttinghte film on the xray machine belt and not worrying one iota about it. The TSA agent was quite willing to hand inspect my sheet film holders but felt the need to pull the darkslides to do so. Can't fault the kid... it wasn't his fault for not knowing about old camera gear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All airports I have been to in Australia (Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns, Gold Coast) have hand checked for me, some more difficult than others to ask for it.

Small risk is not no risk. If they didn't damage then an unlimited number of passes would not affect film.

I prefer to ask when I can and have time to do so to minimise the number of passes. I just tell them I stake my living on this/professional use, and that no, a single pass isn't going to hurt, but it's already had multiple passes, and that I prefer to be safe than sorry with my work, and ask if they could kindly do an explosives swab instead of an xray.

There are also lead lined carry on bags that will attenuate (but not block) the X-Ray scans, so that the level is quite reduced and they can boost the image digitally after the pass.
    Last edited by Athiril; 03-19-2013 at 06:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post

I second that! The airport environment has close to zero tolerance now in terms of what people are carrying, and where and how people try to smuggle-in contraband, and rolls of film have been on the radar for a while now. If Customs want to unravel a roll of film, there is nothing stopping them (least of all you!) — the law is on their side and they are entitled to be very thorough if they have the slightest suspicion. Just put everything on the counter as directed and in through x-ray: keeping things nice, pleasant, civilised and orderly will make everybody's day; the reverse having you shunted off for an intricate interview in a back room (and yet more things pulled apart). All this is because at some stage idiots have smuggled in drugs in otherwise innocuous-looking rolls of film (opening the canisters, removing the film spool, stuffing in e.g. heroin or ice). It is through the refined detective work of Customs that we don't have a great deal of illicit stuff getting through the border, and their methods and detections are always being fine-tuned.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a few screeners try to unroll exposed 120 and 220 films before, and there is always one that wants to pull out on the leader of a 35mm cassette. A few have asked to unwrap and remove the foil from 120/220 films that were unexposed to check. When going someplace that you know they will not care for hand inspections you can pick up a few of the thick xray bags. I have a big Domke one that is like 10lbs, and another smaller japanese type thats a bit smaller but can easily hold a 10 roll brick. Dont get the thinner plastic roll up pouches unless you plan on bagging film in those, and then into the thicker type bags. They work really well, when they made me pass film through with it instead of giving me hand inspection, it showed up as a huge black space on the monitor. At JFK they didnt care and said the machine was film safe and let it pass, at Shanghai coming back they freaked and had 4-5 people come over, and ultimately gave me the hand inspection I asked for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can I add the Fuji 800Z to the list? I was a little afraid of this one, but it turned out just fine.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaz99/5433408778/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    They [lead bags] work really well, when they made me pass film through with it instead of giving me hand inspection, it showed up as a huge black space on the monitor. At JFK they didnt care and said the machine was film safe and let it pass, at Shanghai coming back they freaked and had 4-5 people come over, and ultimately gave me the hand inspection I asked for.
    If I understand you right, your idea about lead bags is to provoke a hand inspection.

Shooter
    Multi Format

X-Ray damage by multiple passes through airport and venue security; COLOUR AND MONO

It's always best to get a hand inspection to avoid the X-rays no matter how X-ray safe they say their machine is because of the cumulative effects of multiple passes, but if the screeners deny you you are better off having the lead bags that nothing at all. Most people in these positions are apathetic to your reasoning about protecting your film.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But what keeps them, after seeing that black brick at their monitor, from opening the bag, pouring out the films and having them run through the X-ray scanner?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But what keeps them, after seeing that black brick at their monitor, from opening the bag, pouring out the films and having them run through the X-ray scanner?
    It doesn't block Xrays, but attenuate them, the intensity is lower, so contrast is still detectable, they increase the image brightness and contrast of the scan.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin