Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,512   Online: 1039

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But what keeps them, after seeing that black brick at their monitor, from opening the bag, pouring out the films and having them run through the X-ray scanner?
    You have a good point. If something shows up as a great black blob, it is likely to be pulled up and opened. It might even trigger are more involved search of the bag's contents. Goodness, just put the film through the scanner and avoid fuss.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format

X-Ray damage by multiple passes through airport and venue security; COLOUR AND MONO

Not sure what your getting at but whenever it has gone through with the bags I clearly tell them there is film in an X-ray proof bag. I hold out the bag to show them when I request a hand inspection. They have never rerun the film without the bag and usually go to hand inspection if they care for it. A number of times it has gone through with the bags no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the point he's making (which was my experience too when I last used a lead bag - decades ago), Newt, is that if the screener sees a "black blob" they will not assume that it is film and therefore OK... they will assume that they cannot assess the situation and either re-scan in hopes of a "better angle" or pull the bag out for hand check. That hand check may be performed primarily to figure out what is being concealed more than to be nice to the guy carrying film. When that has happened to me, the entire contents of my carryon have been examined rather than just the "black blob". You appear to have had better success with your lead bag than have others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. When I last used lead bags and told the screener that I had film in a lead bag I got one of two responses: "hand it to me and I'll handceck it for you", or "remove the film from the bag and put both separately on the conveyor". Not enjoying this experience an dhaving never had a problem with xray damage no matter where I've flown... I gave up on the lead bag many years ago. I'd much rather glide through the security stations without ever having to interact with the security personnel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess to each his own then. Traveling without the xray bags is much lighter, and is what you should be doing if you wont be in an area with lodging or a car for a bit of time and have to be on foot. I have also heard that the radiation from longer flights may actually be more than what is experienced from the burst of xrays from the scanner, if thats the case maybe the bags help with that too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've recently developed HP5+ pushed to 1600 which went through quite a bit scanning (at least 4 if not more) and I see no damage on the negatives. Same result with tmax 400 @400.

I prefer to avoid any hassle with airport security, specially in the countries which might be considered "hot". I would actually consider both, Jordan and Egypt to lean towards the "hot" side at the moment.

In both countries you can also expect your baggage is going to be scanned at the hotel (at least they did it in my hotels in both countries) on each entry. Better put the camera around your neck before you enter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry for digging this up, but while the hand-check vs. carry-on scan battle still rages (and doesn't interest me), I get the impression that film in checked bags is a very bad idea?
    Photon Counter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kossi008 View Post
    Sorry for digging this up, but while the hand-check vs. carry-on scan battle still rages (and doesn't interest me), I get the impression that film in checked bags is a very bad idea?
    Yes, very bad. Film should be carried on a plane. I have had film scanned half a dozen times while carried on planes with no problems at all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin