Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,681   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

X-Ray damage by multiple passes through airport and venue security; COLOUR AND MONO

Hi,

I'm planning to travel and shoot soon in the Middle East (Egypt, Jordan). I expect higer than normal X-ray passes, out from UK, internal flight x-ray out and back (?) multiple venues then back home: up to 5 x-ray passes.

So far I'm considering 1 or more of the following tactics.

A. Get film bought in the UK shipped to my hotel. This assumes all parcels are NOT x-ray scanned.

B. Buy film in country, perhaps mail-order shipped to my hotel rather than at the local shop.

C. Ship exposed film back to my usual processer in the UK (Peak Imaging, good for me so far). Again this assumes the stuff isn't routinely x-rayed.

D. Have film processed in country then shipped to the UK (I'd need to avoid having film sent to the hotel as any delay in shipping could see me back in the UK and the film in Egypt!).

I'm interested in experiences other have and any solutions employed. Is threre a way I can be accredited and avoid the x-ray risk? A trip to the USA was marred by my insistance on hand-searches and flat refusal in some places. Again an internal flight added passes but everyone said "our machine is X-Ray film safe...

Finally may I place on record the willingess of security staff at the London Olympics to hand search my baggage? I expected to be refused.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always ask from airport security to hand check my films, never had a problem except once at the Vatican entrance (they reduced to do so) and this is not an airport. I am sure that if you ask it you won't have a problem either.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no guarantee that film is not x-rayed on the postal route. To the contrary.

However I know of only one case where a film sent by a European dealer overseas arrived with radiation damage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Post often goes through similar machines to carry-on luggage, if suspicious then it might be x-rayed.

Carry-on luggage scanning isn't Xray, all UK airports use scanners that are film safe for a high number of passes. When I visited South America some of my films were scanned around 20 times with no problems.

In some countries scanners are used on entering the country also at shopping centres, also scanners are used routinely on cruise ships every time you board.

Over the past 7/8 years many of my films have been scanned many times and I don't have any worries about it at all. Most European airports, ports etc won't do hand searches and in fact you're at more risk of having film exposed and ruined.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Carry-on luggage scanning isn't Xray...
    Yes it is, but it is at a low enough level that damage doesn't happen easily. Like you, Ian, I just put my film on the conveyor and let them xray it and have never had a problem. Things are different with really fast film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

X-Ray damage by multiple passes through airport and venue security; COLOUR AND

Quote Originally Posted by antmar View Post
    I always ask from airport security to hand check my films, never had a problem except once at the Vatican entrance (they reduced to do so) and this is not an airport. I am sure that if you ask it you won't have a problem either.
    I will +1 that.

Just ask for hand inspection.

I've also had issues in "important" cities, like when I visited Washington DC I wasn't allowed in the LIBRARY because they needed to x-ray the film and I wouldn't allow it.

What I noticed more than anything was that because the cameras had removable lenses, they insisted on looking inside OR x-ray, I chose X-Ray and when I got the film back all the rolls that were IN THE CAMERA at the time of X-Ray all had terrible banding.

I don't know if its something in the metal body of the camera that amplifies the waves, but it's bad.

So always finish off a roll before going through the X-Ray... That's my biggest advice.

This banding BTW was on ASA 64 film... Very slow...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You either had a 1:million chance experience or you inadvertantly let that film get CT scanned (checked baggage). You experience defies physics.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A cranking up of dosis due to the camera body would not defy the law of physics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They can't "crank up" dosage; that is fixed by manufacturer. They use various software imaging techniques to the original scan and if that still not conclusive then their only option is to rescan. That is 2X exposure but it requires way more than that to get noticible damage. Banding is indicidive of CT not Xray.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CT employs X-rays.

In a recent thread banding of film in camera on carry-on luggage control was reported too, if my memory does not fail.
    EDIT: That was StoneNYC's case too...
    Last edited by AgX; 03-17-2013 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin