Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,310   Online: 896

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal: A couple of questions before taking the plunge.

Hi everyone,
    I picked up a bottle of Rodinal on the weekend and am itching to test it out. I just want to make sure that I understand the key points of what has been said about it elsewhere on APUG.

Firstly, I will be trying it with FP4 and Delta 100 in 120 format. I will be 'testing' mostly out of doors in the bright sunshine and snow; thus looking for wide latitude between shadow and highlights.

If I understand correctly, I ought to first go with the standard temp EIs and dev times for these two films. At 1+50 I will get better contrast and flexibility than at 1+25.

I usually use ID-11 at 1+1, and really like the crispness of the negatives, especially with the Deltas. What can I expect with Rodinal?

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks a bunch,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am sure that there are members of this Forum far more knowledgeable about this topic than I am. My two cents are:

I find the Rodinal-published development times to be a bit ong. For example, they publish 8 minutes at 68 degrees F for HP5+. I rate the film at EI = 240 (vs. EI =400) and develop for 6.5 minutes, instead of 8 minutes.

I LOVE the results with this developer. The only other developer I would recommend over Rodinal is PMK <pyro>. I also like the higher dilutions (1+50 or even higher) and prefer reduced agitation and longer development times.

Hope this helps.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa

I find the Rodinal-published development times to be a bit ong. For example, they publish 8 minutes at 68 degrees F for HP5+. I rate the film at EI = 240 (vs. EI =400) and develop for 6.5 minutes, instead of 8 minutes.
    Doesn't that mean you are over-exposing and under-developing the film? It will work of course, but does that negatively (ouch ) affect the grain in the negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I personally like Delta shot @ ISO 50 and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 8 minutes (@ 68degF). But DocMorten (or resident Doctor of Rodinal) recently did some testing with Delta shot @ ISO 100 and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 13.5 - 14 minute. I tried this on a roll of 35mm and it worked nicely.
    I read in Les' book that there is a difference between times for development of 35mm negs and 120 film. So that's something to consider, too.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer FP4+ rated at 64 in Rodinal 1+100 for 15 mins at 20C. Invert for first 30 seconds and then invert once every 30 secs.

Jeanette beat me to posting Mortons times for Delta 100 - I think he's in the darkroom today lucky man

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you're right about the Agfa published times being a bit on the long side. However, I've found that the negatives print fairly well if you are using a diffusion type enlarger. If you find that you are consistently getting too much contrast, needing a grade 1 filter to print well, cut your development times about 20%. Personally though, I don't really like Rodinal with more modern emulsions like the Delta and TMax films, and especially not with fast films. It works best, IMO, with slow and medium speed films like Plus-X, FP4, APX 100, and PanF+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Rodinal with APX100 and with the EFKE films.
    I think it makes an excellent companion for the Ilfords FP4+ and D100.
    As it has been stated I generally use the reccommended times minus 10%, and agitate only once per minute
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the answers to date everyone, I appreciate it!

But this brings up a question...How do the film and chemistry manufacturers arrive at EIs and dev times which are too long?
    What I mean, is, wouldn't all of their tests etc lead them to the conclusions that photographers arrive at? For example, Titrisol has stated that the dev times are overstated by 10%. Jack Rosa rates D400 at 240 instead of the official EI of 400! What leads the manufacturers to over-rate EIs and dev times?

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Their testing method is based on a ISO standard.
    Our testing method is based on real life.
    And usually what works for me won;t necessarily work for you.

Each of us has to determine a Ei or develpment time for ourselves in order to get consistent results.
    No matter if yo downrate the film or develop for less time, or agitate more or less that anyone else as long as you get consistent results, that give good images, with the effect you look for.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Well, I personally like Delta shot @ ISO 50 and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 8 minutes (@ 68degF). But DocMorten (or resident Doctor of Rodinal) recently did some testing with Delta shot @ ISO 100 and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 13.5 - 14 minute. I tried this on a roll of 35mm and it worked nicely.
    I read in Les' book that there is a difference between times for development of 35mm negs and 120 film. So that's something to consider, too.
    Wow, thats a huge difference ebtween the two of you!!!!!???????

I have an unopened bottle and look forward to using it with APX 100 and the like for street images......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin