Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,013   Online: 703

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Does Rudman provide any scientific proof for his pronouncement?
    Perhaps he is accepting Ilford's statement, which seems a reasonable thing to do.

Personally, I choose to use 2-bath fixing, made easier by having the fixer sitting permanently in a Nova vertical slot unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Perhaps he is accepting Ilford's statement, which seems a reasonable thing to do.
    I read the Ilford instructions and could not find the particular claim and in fact it seemed to argue the opposite position. Perhaps I missed the appropriate sentence. But such an important fact would certainly be mentioned under the section on washing aids. All that Ilford claims is that a washing aid cuts the total washing time.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-26-2014 at 06:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I read the Ilford instructions and could not find the particular claim and in fact it seemed to argue the opposite position. Perhaps I missed the appropriate sentence.
    It is actually stated in two sentences as shown below:

Do not exceed the capacity of the fixer

Residual silver depends on fixer usage. There are three ways of keeping the residual silver to acceptable levels.

1 Fix only a few prints before replacing the fixing bath (approximately 10 20.3x25.4cm (8x10inches) prints in one litre/US quart of working strength fixer).

2 Use two-bath fixation.

3 Use a single fixing bath plus a washing aid. The number of prints through the single fixing bath can be increased to approximately 40 20.3x25.4cm (8x10 inch) prints per litre/US quart of working strength fixer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The two main reasons not to use 2-bath fixing are space/convenience and up-front cost. It obviously depends on the quantity of printing done.

If cost is a main issue, it's often suggested that simple fixer (sodium thiosulphate plus a little sodium sulphite) be used as the second fixer bath*.

If it is correct that Ilford's claim that wash aid (mostly sodium sulphite) is a suitable second bath, then perhaps an economical second bath that might be better would be a dilute simple fixer (maybe a handful of sodium thiosulphate and a spoonful of sodium sulphite) to a Litre of water. The downside would be that it wouldn't be suitable to be promoted to first fixer bath when the used first one is discarded.

* simple fixer might be better if one is tempted to go straight to selenium toner without a rinse.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin