Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,708   Online: 798

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

B+W, MF (120) film............where do you (or NOT) purchase?

I have re-entered the MF world after a brief respite and was wondering what and where the purchasing practices in the MF 120 area might be headed.

I recently picked up a 5 roll "Pro Pack" locally for some fresh dated emulsion, and I thought this was consistent with the "locavore" practices of buying locally, even though the production of the end-product was from a factory far away or off-shore. Thought being that sustaining local distribution means buying from locals, and ensuring their survival as a resource.

Obviously Ebay and Amazon are options, and the B+H and Freestyles of the world, off-shore Euro suppliers, etc. but I am trying to get a sense of what others find valuable in their purchasing decisions for film stock.

I believe that purchasing from a VERY "offshore" source (Thailand?), in any quantity or price is a Fool's Errand with as many things that can disrupt shipping and QC with those distances. So, do you have comfort with No. America sellers on Amazon/eBay offering fresh dated product..........or do you have experience with a broader geographic group of sellers?? Or do you stay close to home, (supporting local distribution)?

The pricing (no surprise) on eBay is all over the board, in reality, how do you use the "net" resources and for what product?

Stay Safe!

FL Guy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

B+W, MF (120) film............where do you (or NOT) purchase?

Which 120 film would you get from Thailand?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ebay.............

Not manufactured there but sold from there. Personally I have a prob buying any emulsion product from that far away (Ex. Euro).

FL Guy

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Which 120 film would you get from Thailand?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy the majority of my film from three primary sources, Freestyle, BHPhoto and Adorama. I like a good price as good as anyone but I also value the customer service provided by these on-line dealers.

Once in awhile I pick up some film on this forum or one or two others if there is something being sold that I use, or think I would like to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eBay, but that's here in Australia. There are other suppliers around the world.
    Retail film is extraordinarily expensive: I don't buy it at all. A roll of Velvia 50 (as an example) cossts $35.90 retail. Online supplier $5.95/roll. It is the right stuff. It is freshly batched, refrigerated with a 12+ month lead to expiry. B&W film would be dirt cheap; I think $4 for Acros 100 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ebay - and I've bought Fuji Acros from sellers in Tailand and Korea.

I would buy from B&H too, as their pricing is also very good, but the freight is just too expensive...and I don't shoot enough film to warrant it..
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get most of my film locally. Glazers has a slightly better price on Acros 120, for example, than B&H. The other local shop is a good 20% more expensive than B&H so I don't buy so much from them, but I do buy there periodically. Glazers is a bit of a drive for me, so when I'm there I tend to stock up. Only when I'm already placing an order with the three online sources do I add 10-20 rolls of film.

I don't buy film via eBay, unless it's outdated or discontinued or otherwise very hard to find, such as Polypan F. Though I've noticed lately that the outdated film is nearly as expensive as fresh; I can get outdated B&W locally for half price.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I currently buy locally
    - Kaufmann's in San Mateo
    - Keeble & Shucket in Palo Alto

If they don't have what I want, then I would go to the big 3; Adorama, B&H, Freestyle.
    But as Andrew mentioned, watch the S&H charges.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Agree with pricing, S+H

Agree with your thoughts. The genesis of this post was related to spending time on eBay sifting through the offers for film, many which appear ridiculous. Especially sellers offering single rolls of outdated film (2000 and earlier vintage), shipping from Greece, Thailand, etc. If you are looking for "artifacts" to fill a cabinet I guess that is one way to go, but I can't see a practical use for most of this stuff.

I do see value in picking up near-dated product at what could be a good price via eBay, Amazon, etc. Even then some folks are bidding up to local prices for the same product, plus a likely shipping add-on. Keep your thoughts coming!

FL Guy

I don't buy film via eBay, unless it's outdated or discontinued or otherwise very hard to find, such as Polypan F. Though I've noticed lately that the outdated film is nearly as expensive as fresh; I can get outdated B&W locally for half price.[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I confuse easily and don't really understand all of the words in the OP. But I buy fromtwo sources primarily: a local shop that still stocks 120 (but not much, and they don't intend to keep doing that just for me) and Freestyle. When mailordering, I get it from B&H.

Oh, I only buy fresh since I can easily make my own outdated film!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin