Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,960   Online: 927

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    In Germany you can get cheap but good brown glass bottles in many sizes at every pharmacy. No need to risk accidents by putting photo chemicals in food containers.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used PET plastic for years and years for both B&W and color developers (and all the other chemicals). I have had NO deleterious effects ever as long as the bottle is filled TO THE VERY RIM. (And I do not worry about keeping them in the dark even though they are clear.)

This 'filled to the rim' caveat is the annoying part because I have to use glass marbles to take up the slack. However, there are some PET plastics that can be slightly squeezed, such as Pepsi soda bottles that are long and narrow and have largely clear sides without indentations. But these are usually about 500ml. How I would like smaller bottles that could be likewise squeezed as it is a hassle to keep adding those marbles. For very small quantities, I use 50ml liquor bottles but, again, marbles (tiny ones from arts and crafts stores) are needed. - David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    I bought yesterday this bear because of the cap and brown bottle:

Attachment 78487

I will store my chemicals in it.

This is at least considered dangerous lab practice in Germany.
    So be aware what you are doing and who in any case might get access to such a bottle. Being a commercial photographer higher demands on your safety practice will be put on you in case of an accident.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you use common sense, there are no safety issues. Tape a piece of paper over the beer label (or simply scratch it off), use a permanent marker to make a crude skull w/ an X through it, and write POISON. CONTAINS (name of developer here) PHOTOGRAPHIC DEVELOPER. Perfectly safe. I now have the answer to my earlier post about whether to use plastic or glass bottles to store my developer in. Glass it is. Keep it simple. Thank you Agx and others.

While I'm no chemist, eons ago I used to work for O.S.H.A., and was involved in gathering information to present to Congress to have the P.E.L. standards (permissible exposure limits to toxic and hazardous materials in the workplace) updated and improved. If people only knew what goes on in businesses and hospitals! You'd be sure that people would be dropping like flies from some of the stuff I was told. But by and large, they don't. Over and over again I saw that solutions like Agx's were prevalent in the places w/ the best safety records, and that the "old ways" were generally the best. Maybe not the most convenient, maybe not the cheapest, but the best. As for breakage, wrap the bottle w/ a sheet of thin closed cell foam before putting your poison label on, and/or lay down a thick rubber mat where you use the stuff. Easier on your feet too.
    Last edited by momus; 12-17-2013 at 06:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are people, small people, that cannot read.

And yes, I know a lab in the industry that uses beverage bottles for storing chemistries. But this is a very, very secluded premises.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    high-qualityHDPE bottles are made from multi-layeredinjection-moldedblans to minimize permiability.that's how plastic fuel containers are manufactured.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    There are people, small people, that cannot read.

And yes, I know a lab in the industry that uses beverage bottles for storing chemistries. But this is a very, very secluded premises.
    Small people that cannot read drinking beer ? I guess it's an early start for the national tradition.
    We may lough, but you are so right. Common sense for many hobbies, not only photography rather requires, that stuff which is used is clearly separated and even locked away from all members of ones household. Stupid accidents just happens. Time to time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the small person cannot read, there is no reason to assume they will NOT drink a substance that is in a "proper" bottle for that substance. No reason to think they won't drink furniture polish, window cleaner, etc. Hell, there is no reason to think they'd not drink beer/wine/liquor even if they are not allowed and know full-well what it is.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    This is at least considered dangerous lab practice in Germany.
    So be aware what you are doing and who in any case might get access to such a bottle. Being a commercial photographer higher demands on your safety practice will be put on you in case of an accident.
    There is no danger at all.

I label all my bottles not only to let others know it is not bear but also to let me know what chemicals is in each bottle.

I also used tape around the bottle so in case it crashs the tape will hold the glass pieces and chemicals in.

And if a child were looking for something to drink they would find many other things good and bad to drink before find my chemicals.
    Last edited by marciofs; 12-20-2013 at 01:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    There is no danger at all.

I label all my bottles not only to let others know it is not bear but also to let me know what chemicals is in each bottle.

I also used tape around the bottle so in case it crashs the tape will hold the glass pieces and chemicals in.

And if a child were looking for something to drink they would find many other things good and bad to drink before find my chemicals.
    no chemicals in food bottles or in what could be mistaken as food bottles is a common-sense safety precaution, and I recommend aswell as practice it in my darkroom. rvrrything else is short-sided and might be regreted.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin