Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,259   Online: 821

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Split Printing

Shooter
    Multi Format

Split Printing

In the January Black and White Photographer, there's an article by Steve Mulligan on Split Printing. So sorry but I have a couple of basic questions:

1. What developers are Zone VI?
    2. He says the first bath is developer straight, does that mean undiluted?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not think the Zone VI devs are available in teh UK, even under a different name, tho may be wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That makes things a little more difficult. Looking back at the magazine he says he sometimes uses Dektol, would the first bath of that be used undiluted if it's used straight. Sorry for being thick but the sound of putting a print into a concentrated developer sounds harsh, so I'm thinking I ain't read it properly.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have not read the article yet as I am in the US and it takes a little bit to get here but I am a little confused here. Is the article talking about split filter printing or using two developers to control the contrast of graded papers? If we are talking about split filter printing then the developers really don't come into play as I see it. I have used a lot of print developers with this technique. Now if the author is writing about controlling the contrast via different developers then the way I have done it is to use a soft working developer (like Selectol Soft) and regular working developer (like Dektol). The print is partially developed in the Selectol Soft for a portion of the time and then in the Dektol for the remainder of the time. I am not sure this technique would be of any benefit with variable contrast papers. As to the other question I would dilute each as if I were using them independently. I seem to remember Selectol Soft as a 1+1 dil and Dektol is generally recommended as 1+2 dil.

There is some speculation that the Zone VI print developers are a reformulated Dektol

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee thank you for the info. I won't spoil the article for you I'll just say he uses both. He splits the exposure hard (grade 5 ish) then soft (grade 0 ish) ... he uses a Zone IV enlarger. Then he devs in 2 baths, short period in the first to start shadow development and longer in the second bath for the full tonal ranges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee I have to disagree with you, I regularly use two bath development with split filter printing and there are differences, sometimes subtle but in fine printing subtle is significant. I also use water bath with split filter printing when I deliberatly use more hard filtration to achieve an effect that requires that treatment but if the print is developed normally the highlights are too bright and the global contrast is too high. Water bath development will reduce the contrast but allows you to retain the contrast and seperation created in the lower values by using hard filtration. It's a difficult one to describe in text only but all will be revealed in May. As a matter of interest I used this technique today in making a print for Jim Moore in the print exchange.

I also use a lot of ZoneVI developer, I buy it every time I visit the US, and don't think that it's reformulated Dektol as the prints I get with it are much warmer than anything I've ever had with dektol
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    you can disagree all you want I have always been under the impression that as I said that the two bath developers were aimed at graded papers. It is good to know that it will work with vc papers.

The note about Zone VI being Dektol comes from Fred Picker and something he said off the cuff. When asked about Zone VI developers he is said to have said, "Can't beat Dektol so why mess with it." This is what led me and others too speculate. I guess it would pretty easy to have an analysis done but I don't have that much interest in the developer.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hadn't really thought much about applying split development to VC papers, but now that I think about it I see no reason why it wouldn't work. However I would not expect to see much, if any, difference if the paper has developer incorporated into the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ho hum, Sorry guys I didn't mean to start off a "disagreement". Many thanks for the info but it's now sounding way above my abilities at the moment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't you just hate that?! You read all this cool stuff and see the gorgeous results and just think 'sigh, maybe I'll get there someday'....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin