Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,733   Online: 1090

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selenium Toning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One good thing about saving washed prints, then toning all of them together later is that your exposure to selenium vapors is reduced.
    No one mentioned that here, so maybe it's not a big deal, but my initiation to selenium toning included that advice (by Fred Picker). Be sure to ventilate well when you do this, and, as others have said, soak thoroughly. I usually put all of the prints into a deep tray to soak in clean water before setting up to tone and rewash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One good thing about selenium toning is that prints don't have to be washed thoroghly of fixer before toning. If the prints are not acidic (e.g. a neutral or alkaline fixer is used, or prints are given an alkaline bath after fixing) they can go straight into the selenium toner , the life of which will not be prematurely shortened by acid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    Two questions

Is it ok to wash and dry my prints and the after have many prints toning them all together in order to save Selenium?

It may be ok with avarege papers but with ART 300 is it ok?
    Yes it's ok to tone many prints in one session, but if you mean toning many prints at the same time in the same dish together, that's a different kettle of fish. To start with, prints can physically abrade each other. If you stack prints in the toner, you may not achieve complete toning with the prints lower in the stack unless you remove (say) the top print when it's fully toned. Don't try cutting corners; over the years I've found that trying to save time and/or money in printmaking inevitably creates more headaches than it solves!

Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    Also, How to make the print more or less sepia? Is it a mater of just washing more?

Thanks.
    When you bleach the print, watch for the highlights to vanish, then remove it from the bleach and wash the bleach off. Now tone as normal and you'll see sepia in the highlights and upper mid-tones and blacks and greys in the darker tones. This is called split-toning; you can then tone the print in selenium, gold or another toner to have two or three colours in the print.

Different papers respond differently to toners; Ilford Multigrade FB takes on more subtle hue in sepia than does (say) Ilford Galerie FB. Toning in selenium toner reduces the intensity and changes the colour of sepia-toned prints. To make a print 'more' sepia, which i assume you mean to intensify the colour, bleach it fully. Washing prints post-sepia toning will not decrease the intensity of the colour!

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re: Kevs' comment about prints abrading each other - I have never had this problem, or the unequal toning problem either, for that matter. Maybe because when I do this, up to say, 10 - 15 prints at a time, I am sure to use a tray slightly larger than the prints, with at least an inch of toner. I also shuffle them bottom to top, like film open tray developing. The depth of the toner solution and the rotating keeps the prints from settling or sticking to each other, which could be the cause of these two problems. Maybe I've just been lucky.
    I do this because many of my images are 2 or 3 image pans, and I want all of the prints to have the same toning. I also make 3 or 4 sets of prints and tone them in one batch, just to be sure I have at least two or three matching sets for framing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the advises.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the original post you said that you want to wait until you have several prints "... to save Selenium". The diluted selenium toner is not discarded after use. Store it and continue using it as long as at still works. It will slow down as it gets older and may have some black particulate but, as long as it still tones, it is good. Selenium is one of the materials you don't want to be pouring down the drain any more than is necessary.
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you can tone a print in seleniumbefore or after drying. i never noticed a difference in the effect, but for con venience i dry first and tone in a subsequent session.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I always tone my fiber prints as I like a neutral/cool look to my prints. In addition, "they" say that the prints are more archival if so processed - so I generally use the Ilford method of processing to increase the life span of the prints (although my early prints from 25+ years ago which were processed under less than optimal conditions still look fine). So I use Kodak Selenium toner at 1:30 for apx five minutes. Cools things down nicely and gives things a hint of an eggplant purple color.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin