Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,608   Online: 949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Delta 100 works great, HP 5 Plus not so good

Ive been using my Speed Graphic with Magic lantern lens the past week or so. Both films processed in DD-X. Delta 100 shot at 1/30th with good results, perhaps just a bit dense. The HP 5 Plus shot at 1/125th and is thin and flat. Both are in date film and shot under similar circumstances. I'm figuring about f4. Any ideas as to why I'm getting these results? Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Both films are capable of excelent results and personally i don't have much problems developing either of them. You don't state how you developed the film, but it sounds like the HP5+ could use more development and perhaps a bit more light too. I would suggest to develop the next time a 10% to 15% more and see how it looks then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both films extensively with no problems, in fact I use HP5 so I can work hand held with my Crown or Super Graphic.

How sure are you of the shutter on the Speed Graphic, I'd be more inclined to think there's an issue there.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's hard to evaluate your exposure without knowing the lighting conditions, but f/4 at those speeds in almost any kind of daylight (excepting very early or late and low sun), per film, should be enough, if not too much (as your Delta 100 "a bit dense" indicates). Your HP5 would be flat if under exposed far enough, since even the highlights would be weak, thus the whole thing flat. Development usually controls contrast, but you must be reasonably close on exposure to evaluate development.
    So - Ian could be right about your shutter. A standard check would be to shoot a set of negs, all same subject and lighting, on tripod, consistent lighting. Start with a good exposure on one end of the shutter speed range, then go through the speeds, changing the f/stop each time to compensate for the speed change. Develop all the films together. If there are wild swings in neg density, you have a shutter problem.
    Also, you don't mention using a light meter. Without one, and without some experience, you could be off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HP5+ has more latitude than DELTA 100 Professional so sound like an 'exposure' issue to me.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin