Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,082   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

restraining and reducing: the role of bromide

Two seemingly simple questions I have:

First: What is the precise role of bromide in Farmer's Reducer?

Second: With regard to restrainers: Is there ever a circumstance whereby potassium bromide is preferable to benzatriozole?

- David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First bromide isn't used in Farmers reducer, although it won't hurt if it's there/

Second Benzoriazole produces cold tones with prints and so shouldn't be added to warm tone developers.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian, the formula for Farmer's reducer contains bromide. I do not use it but it is there. Am I incorrect? (Thank you for the warm tone exception.) - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    First: What is the precise role of bromide in Farmer's Reducer?
    I think you mean re-halogenating bleaches. Potassium bromide is used so that when the silver is oxidized it is converted to silver halide again. Such a bleach may be used in connection with an intensifier.

Ag0 - electron --> Ag+ + Br- --> AgBr
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No true, Farmers reducer is a two part reducer mixed just before use.

Rarmers Reducer

Part A
    Sodium Thiosulphate 40g
    water to 1 litre

Part B
    Potassium Ferricyanide 19g
    Water to 250ml

To use 1 part B + 4 parts A

Make up to 32 parts with water

ie 10ml B + 40ml A + 270ml Water = 320ml working solution.
    It has a very short life

A very lazy way is to use a rehalogenating bleach used for toning with some fixer, however this is faster working and not as controllable and you shouldn't use a Rapid fixer.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Second: With regard to restrainers: Is there ever a circumstance whereby potassium bromide is preferable to benzatriozole?
    Yes, if cost and trivial availability mean anything to you
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not true, Ian, for print reducer. This 'unblinking eye' site (upper right of page) shows the reducer for prints: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/De.../formulas.html

But, Ian, the negative reducer is as you state: no bromide. I wonder why the difference? - David Lyga

And Rudeofus: 'trivial availability' has to be conquered but once in one's lifetime: a bit of benzotriazole goes far and can be kept permanently in powder form if airtight. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not true, Ian, for print reducer. This 'unblinking eye' site (upper right of page) shows the reducer for prints: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/De.../formulas.html

But, Ian, the negative reducer is as you state: no bromide. I wonder why the difference? - David Lyga

And Rudeofus: 'trivial availability' has to be conquered but once in one's lifetime: a bit of benzotriazole goes far and can be kept permanently in powder form if airtight. - David Lyga
    Farmer's Reducer has never had Bromide in the official formula, and it's been sold by many companies. Agfa Ansco (GAF) 310 (which I listed above), Kodak R-4a and R-4b, and Ilford IR-1 are all named as Farmer's Reducer and essentially just slight variations in terms of concentration but only use Ferricyanide and Sodium Thiosulphate.

So there's a mistake on that website.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Ian. I have been at this business of analog photography fro more than 70 years, and I have never seen the formula shown in "Unblinking Eye". Farmer's Reducer is a simple two solution formula mixed just prior to use.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    David, are you confusing Farmer's reducer with sepia tone bleach?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin