Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,658   Online: 963

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Modifying Dektol/D-72 to Ansco 130?

I've been working out the cost of mixing my own 130 from bulk chemicals to see if I could get it down near the cost of Dektol. Ordering larger quantities of the chemicals from artcraftchemicals.com, it looks like 130 would come in at around $4/lt of stock--a lot better than the $13.25/lt the Formulary charges, but still a lot more than Dektol's ~$1.50/lt., especially considering the latter is generally used at 1+2 instead of 130's 1+1.

I notice, however, that the formulas for D-72 and 130 are very similar except for the addition of glycin in the 130:

To make 1 lt. stock:

D-72 Ansco 130
    Metol 3g 2.2g
    Sodium Sulfite 45g 50g
    Hydroquinone 12g 11g
    Sodium carbonate (mono) 80g 78g
    Potassium bromide (anhy) 2g 5.5g
    Glycin 11g

Is it possible to mix dektol stock and add the additional potassium bromide and glycin? How practically significant are the variations in the other chemicals? 11g of glycin costs around $0.11, so this would bring the total cost per liter down to well under $2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two good sources of chemicals are www.thechemistrystore.com and for developing agents www.techcheminc.com. While they have metol and hydroquinone they do not sell Glycin. Both have good prices.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the place to get glycin is the photographer's formulary ... the problem with
    why don't you just mix up some ansco 130
    and leave it as a stock solution and use it when you want ...
    and mix up some dektol and use that ...

ansco 130 lasts for about a year, even longer in a undilute stock solution ...
    i am still using some i mixed up december 2011 and it is doing just fine.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I can't see any reason why you can't try it. The only significant difference is the amount of Metol in the D-72 formula being roughly 25% more. Whether that would have any adverse effect is the question. It may make the D-72+Glycin developer a bit more contrasty (but not much, I would think).

Why not mix some up and report back?

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin