Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,762   Online: 966

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Tone Blues

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Blue Tone Blues

So I ran across something unique to me this past couple of weeks.

I am enthralled with the solarization process as some may know and I have been printing a slew of new images, where I flash the negative and flash the positive.
    So I am at the printing stage and moving along quite nicely with about three full days of printing.

I decide to tone sepia, selenium and Iron Blue, which I have had much success before.

This time I decided I wanted more browns in the highlights which meant more bleach time then sepia.. So two days of toning bleach sepia ,, then adding selenium... So far so good.
    Now I do my usually blue toner for two minutes and then wash out the yellow stain to completion, this takes a complete day to do.

Well to my surprise no visible change, prints look like the prints with only sepia and selenium..

No blue .... What happened... I know the answer but would like to hear some responses .. this is a quiz and the answer is obvious . Hint .. I did add blue and even if I try again it will not work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know the answer as I've never used blue, but I would love to see some pictures!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would say that the blue toner does not react with the silver-selenium compound, which is chemically more stable than other silver compounds.

I much prefer multiple-guess quizzes.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As per usual, anything to do with toning whatsoever in any way shape or form the correct answer is

...Get out any of the books written by Dr.Tim Rudman, the correct answer will, invariably be in there

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wild and fairly ignorant guess? The longer bleach time allowed so much sepia and selenium conversion that there were too few unconverted salts to react to the blue toner? (Dimly remembered from Rudman's toning book....best thing ever written on the subject. AND, if I'm wrong it's not his fault...I just didn't remember correctly.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The prize goes to Jovo

I let the bleach sink into the midtones rather than my usual highlight only for sepia.

Yellow and Blue are complementary colours and therefore have the effect of neutralizing each other so no effect is seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The order is critical beacuse once selenium toned it's harder to bleach the print for blue or any other toning.

I have done this but back in the late 1970's into the late 780's. My preferred blue toner was to use a dye coupler in a colour redeveloper, this was what the late Bob Carlos Clarke did for other colours as well, it's worth seeing his book Dark Summer. For some reason Tim Rudman didn't include Dye coupled toners in his books.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000218.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	66476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000218.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	66476
    Here is a sample of the work.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I know I probably asked you this in the past Ian so be kind, could you elaborate on how one does this.. I have seen some samples of Bob Carlos Clarke did and they were striking.

In my case I think that I am going to bleach the prints , to raise the highlights, then fix and wash as normal , then try the tri tone, with solarization(sabatier) I think the highlights are too close to the midtones and I need to separate them a bit.. The whole process of flashing during development basically forces all the tones to go to the mid points and this is a problem separating colours out.

Would a postassium ferri dilution work well for this??
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The order is critical beacuse once selenium toned it's harder to bleach the print for blue or any other toning.

I have done this but back in the late 1970's into the late 780's. My preferred blue toner was to use a dye coupler in a colour redeveloper, this was what the late Bob Carlos Clarke did for other colours as well, it's worth seeing his book Dark Summer. For some reason Tim Rudman didn't include Dye coupled toners in his books.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin