Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,472   Online: 1085
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,882
    Images
    6
    I use my old can of Beseler developer preservative. It's gonna run out. What was that? May I substitute Co2? I have a big tank of it for my water carbonator. Will it acidify developer?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    Don't store XTOL with Dust-Off
    I don't, nor do I use any other gas. Instead, I've purchased these bottles:


    They're glass with teflon-lined caps. After mixing five liters of XTOL (using distilled water), I fill 20 of the bottles to their tops, then cap securely. No oxygen is in or can enter the bottles. Each one constitutes a single film development run and is used in its entirety at one time. XTOL does develop a white, filimentary precipitate after a while, even when it was mixed using distilled water, but pouring through a coffee filter eliminates that very easily. I've used XTOL stored this way for a year with no difference between exposure or contrast indices of the resulting negatives compared to those developed with freshly mixed XTOL.

    A one-time, lifetime investment. No squeezing, no gas, no marbles, no fuss, no muss.

  3. #13
    AgX
    AgX is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundesphotograph View Post
    I've been using this for years now:

    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/105193...an-Spray-400ml
    It is a Butane, Propane, Isobutane mixture.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,112
    Tetenal Protectan Spray, from the label on the can:
    Propane 20-40% ,n-Butane > 60%

    Sometimes I use gas intended for a blowtorch, from the label:
    Propane 30% , Butane 70%.

    The Propane and Butane mixture should be inert, Tetenal Protectan Spray has been used for very many years.

  5. #15
    Bruce Osgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn, N.Y. USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,415
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I don't, nor do I use any other gas. Instead, I've purchased these bottles:


    They're glass with teflon-lined caps. After mixing five liters of XTOL (using distilled water), I fill 20 of the bottles to their tops, then cap securely. No oxygen is in or can enter the bottles. Each one constitutes a single film development run and is used in its entirety at one time. XTOL does develop a white, filimentary precipitate after a while, even when it was mixed using distilled water, but pouring through a coffee filter eliminates that very easily. I've used XTOL stored this way for a year with no difference between exposure or contrast indices of the resulting negatives compared to those developed with freshly mixed XTOL.

    A one-time, lifetime investment. No squeezing, no gas, no marbles, no fuss, no muss.
    I use the same idea with amber 4 Oz bottles. The caps I selected have a nipple in them to displace the few drops of Xtol at sealing. I bought mine from US Plastics. They actually hold about 4-1/2 Oz when filled so a bottle will deliver 9 Oz of 1:2, just right for 4, 4X5 negs (80 sq ") at a time.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    114

    Re: Don't store XTOL with Dust-Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Bundesphotograph View Post
    I've been using this for years now:

    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/105193...an-Spray-400ml
    Me too, but I never did a more or less scientific test to judge the effect.

    Stefan

    Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,490
    Funny how based on everything Mark (albada) has been doing in his research/development of an XTOL clone over the past several months one could simply conclude XTOL is a relatively finicky, non-robust formula for a general purpose developer (despite excellent image characteristics).

  8. #18
    Bruce Osgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn, N.Y. USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,415
    Images
    42
    I think it dates back further than Marks' entry. The origins of the developer is one of inconsistency and rapid failure when using the 1 Ltr package. A robust and straightforward developer it is but there is the lingering fear that my next batch might fail or go up in flames . Marks entry is most welcome and when finally refined will be a delight and comfortable alternative to Kodak's if only for the smaller amount of concentrate needed in-house.

  9. #19
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,773
    Ah I always thought dust off was just CO2 compressed in a can, now that I am looking at a can of the stuff (dust destroyer from staples) it does state that there is difluoroethane in it. Doesn't say the percentage though, and it also contains a bitterant too. I personally dont use these products to fill up the empty space in a bottle, I usually optimize my developing routine to use up a whole bottle of stock solution (I separate them out to 1L bottles) or if I cant use it all up I squeeze the air out (burping the bottle) before I seal it. Since I only use plastic bottles this is possible, but can see why this product would be helpful if using glass bottles. I have also read of people using clean glass marbles to displace the air space, or separating liquid contents from the air with floating lids in larger tanks.

    This finding could be useful though no? If someone would want to boost the activity of the developer without increasing the temperature, this could be a way for extra push processing without having to worry about the emulsion in a hotter/warmer developer. You could stick the end of the dust off can into the developer and bubble it in, or maybe fill half a bottle with it and the developer and shake it in? Maybe there is too much variation in the off the shelf products or even in the absorption rates for this to work well though.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Funny how based on everything Mark (albada) has been doing in his research/development of an XTOL clone over the past several months one could simply conclude XTOL is a relatively finicky, non-robust formula for a general purpose developer (despite excellent image characteristics).
    My goal with the concentrate is to eliminate the "I hopes". As in, "I hope this XTOL is still good, because it's 7 months old." Or, "I hope it's okay because I used Protectan but did I use enough to drive out all oxygen." The concentrate changes colour as it deteriorates, so you know and don't have to say "I hope". Finally, "I hope these bits of precipitate don't put spots on my negs." Sal mentioned that last issue, and I get that precipitate in every batch of XTOL. I'm surprised Kodak allowed a product to ship that does that.

    I like Sal and Bruce's idea of storing in a bunch of little one-shot-sized bottles. Eliminates the air-issue altogether.

    Newt_on_swings: Why don't you sell Dust-Off as "XTOL Supercharger"? Nothing like turning a problem into a feature and making money on it!

    Mark Overton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin