Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 814

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd like someone with a developer chemistry background to comment on why Dust-Off or similar products might affect the activity of XTOL. It's not obvious to me why the main ingredient would (but I'm not a chemist). OTOH the manufacturer isn't obligated to list every ingredient on the label, so who knows what's in there. (Note-- I've used Dust-Off to preserve XTOL for years and have not noticed any problems with it, but I use it to make pictures, not exposure/density curves.)

I can second the commenter who advised against using CO2. That will tend to acidify the developer (if in a water solution), which is not what we want.

I believe that dry nitrogen has been sold in aerosol-type cans for preserving partially-consumed bottles of wine, whatever those are. Maybe that is still available. Nitrogen is quite inert at room temperature. Though it wasn't a cheap as Dust-Off, as I recall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nitrogen from a gas supply place will be the cheapest vs. Argon or something like that. Find a good welding supply place and a 25lb tank will last forever. A single-stage regulator should handle bringing it down to 4-5psi or so.

I have a welding tank like this but it's filled currently with an argon/co2 mix (75/25) so I need a pure nitrogen tank too probably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm too cheap to use canned air. I've been using wine bladders.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...container.html
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Nitrogen from a gas supply place will be the cheapest vs. Argon or something like that. Find a good welding supply place and a 25lb tank will last forever.
    The problem I have with Nitrogen high-pressure tanks is that over here they have to be opened and examined after a while. If one buys a large one to save on the refills, it easily can be that before even the first refill it has to go to technical examination.
    Yes, we Germans...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin