Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,033   Online: 950

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Don't store XTOL with Dust-Off

You might be tempted to use Dust-Off (or a clone of it) to drive the oxygen out of a partially used bottle of XTOL. Well, I found the gas dissolves into XTOL and makes the XTOL more active. Here are the curves:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130401-HP5-XTOL-DustOff.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	66673

The bottle was 3/4 full, so only 1/4 was Dust-Off gas. XTOL's pH is unchanged, so Dust-Off is doing something else to the chemistry. And it's probably not what you want. The clone I use says it contains difluoroethane. Rudeofus warned me months ago that this is not inert. I should have heeded his warning.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There used to be a canned gas sold by Beseler and others that was made for this purpose. I think it used nitrogen or CO2.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format

Don't store XTOL with Dust-Off

If you go to a restaurant supply store you can get food grade co2 or better yet food grade nitrogen if it's available. For the co2 they have them in the small metal cartridges (same style as the ones you use in bb guns) that are used for making whipped cream or rapid infusing of herbs and spices in liquids.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Difluoroethane should be as inert as those banned predecessors used as preservative gas for photochemistries.

And... what did you use? Dust-Off or a that clone?? I'm puzzled.

The Content of Dust-Off is stated as a mixture containing 60-100% Difluoroethane.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-02-2013 at 05:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    If you go to a restaurant supply store you can get food grade co2 or better yet food grade nitrogen if it's available. For the co2 they have them in the small metal cartridges (same style as the ones you use in bb guns) that are used for making whipped cream or rapid infusing of herbs and spices in liquids.
    Nitrous Oxide is used for making whipped cream. CO2 is for Soda iirc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CO2 is not inert either, at least not for this purpose. It will decrease the PH.

There is a product called "bloxygen" which is nitrogen and argon gas, it's sold by some paint suppliers and woodworking suppliers for preserving paints and other finishes. It's expensive, but seems to work.

Another possibility is to search CL for someone selling a nitrogen cylinder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can also get miniature gas bottles for MIG/TIG welding (try your local auto accessory shop). The usual gas is CO2, but pure argon is available.

One thing to watch for - Whilst the bottles are claimed to be self sealing, they will leak gas slowly, so if you infrequently use one, chances are it will be empty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Bloxygen. Its an argon aerosol designed for this purpose (inert gas blanket).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using this for years now:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/105193...an-Spray-400ml

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use butane-propane from rechargable lighters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin