Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,860   Online: 1097

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bad Pan F ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Summing up, the consensus is that that anyone making comments like this "I don't get all these warnings and extra careful manipulations. I really don't care how I handle my films" and then making all kinds of unfounded complaints really can't be taken seriously.

Oh and BTW Stone from a few time zones ahead of you: It's still Saturday

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Also, my HP5 films behave differently from time to time. I'm not sure what to think about that. It's still my favorite film, though.
    I'd still like to hear more about this.
    Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bad Pan F ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Summing up, the consensus is that that anyone making comments like this "I don't get all these warnings and extra careful manipulations. I really don't care how I handle my films" and then making all kinds of unfounded complaints really can't be taken seriously.

Oh and BTW Stone from a few time zones ahead of you: It's still Saturday

Ian
    Hahaha OMG it's SATURDAY!!!! That means I get another day!!! Haha so funny, I did an overnight on a movie set and came home at 7am (Saturday morning) and then passed out and woke at around 11am, but because I went to sleep on Saturday, I was thinking it was Sunday haha.

Your other response reminds me about when I was saying I thought Tmax400 was not producing any good tones and then said to someone who suggested changing agitation and I said "I don't care about agitation technique changes I want to not change anything and have good images" or something like that, and then I went and changed my technique (I compromised to somewhere in between my old and his suggested) and got some nice results.

Sometimes it takes time to accept that you're wrong or foolish, sometimes it never happens haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    A simple test for edge marking stability might be to get a fresh roll of Pan-F and leave it unexposed.

Every time you develop an exposed roll of Pan-F just include a inch or so of the unexpoded roll in the tank. As long as you use the same devloper and time each roll you may see the edge marking fade over time on the unexposed roll.

A question; Are the edge markings, "in low exposure areas"?
    Better than an unexposed roll shoot a step table 36 times and use a 3 inch clip in the tank each time. With 3 inches you should get all of the steps visible each time (plus the edge markings). There is no way to know exactly when the edge marking were put on the film but we would know the date of the step tablet images.

Shooter
    35mm
    So guys, why do these expired films (2005) with markings that might be dating as far back as 2000 show up so nicely, contrasty and sharp?
    Shouldn't they be faint, or even completely non-existent, according to the "poor latent image theory" that some people want to believe?

I firmly stand on my position: There is either a manufacturing inconsistency, bad QC or we're being sold some very expired but marked as fresh film.
    I'm not accusing Ilford. But as a consumer with minimal knowledge, I just can't swallow quite easily the fact that some Fresh pan-f go bad on me while some other 8 years expired pan-f films look incredibly good.

Poor latent image? No way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails panf-1.jpg   panf-2.jpg   panf-3.jpg   panf-4.jpg  

Shooter
    127 Format
    Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Simple

Done
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    You really didn't get it.
    What's not to like? Look at the marvelous, deep rich tones.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    NB23, pretty stong words from
    a consumer with minimal knowledge
    Unless you know exactly how the edge markings you compare have been generated the only conclusion you can draw from their appearance is wether you mixed up developer and fixer or not.
    Last edited by ath; 04-14-2013 at 03:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is either a manufacturing inconsistency, bad QC or we're being sold some very expired but marked as fresh film
    I'm not accusing Ilford.
    You can't have it both ways.

At the very least, you are suggesting Ilford are acting in bad faith, while you go on to suggest they might be acting fraudulently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    NB23, pretty stong words from
    Unless you know exactly how the edge markings you compare have been generated the only conclusion you can draw from their appearance is wether you mixed up developer and fixer or not.
    When I visited the Ilford factory in 2008, I understood that their cuurent packaging machine which spooled the lengths of film and printed the edge markings had come from Agfa when they closed.
    This would be around 2005/6, so film packed before then would have its edge markings put on by a different machine. So the density and the design of the markings could obviously be completely different. Simple explanation?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin